Creating a Planter Bed #Spring2020Refresh

$200

With spring approaching, I'm starting to plan garden projects and looking back at past projects. Last summer I made a flower bed in our backyard and I've been thinking about what I would do differently. Part of my motivation was to eventually camouflage a very large cistern in our backyard using plants. This tutorial is written in hindsight, which is good for you, as you will benefit from my lessons learned! The way I've written the tutorial differs from the way I actually completed it. Before this I had never made a flower bed and I was sort of winging it as I went! I tried to make note of these differences, as some of my photos will seem to contradict my words.

Identify area for flower bed.

The Before

Once you have selected where you will make your flower bed, measure the width and length to determine how much of the materials you will need. The Vigoro edge kit I used includes 50 feet of edging. I made a curved edge, which takes more material than a straight edge. We have two very large trees in the yard, a cedar and a pine. With these trees in mind, I decided to try to create a woodland flowerbed and thought curves would seem more soft and natural. Consider the shape you will make as you plan for materials.

Gather materials.

Not pictured: Vigoro Premium Composite Edge

Clear area of weeds.

This task can be done however you like best. I didn't get the hoe pictured until after this project was completed. At the time I used whatever small shovel was on hand. But this Nisaku hoe makes weeding so easy and I wish I had it for this project.

Rake soil to create a level area.

Once all the weeds are lifted, I tossed them into a Home Depot bucket. Then I raked the soil to make the surface level.

Lay out weed barrier landscape fabric.

After leveling the soil, I put the weed barrier fabric in place. I used rocks as temporary holders while I rolled it out and then used the garden staples to secure the edges to the ground . To cover the width of the flower bed I placed two pieces of the fabric side by side and pinned them to the ground with the staples.

Place edging under landscape fabric.

As I rolled out the edging I used rocks as temporary holds until I found the lay out I liked. The edging was really easy for a novice like me to work with; it is easy to cut and easy to connect.

Use the anchoring spikes to secure edging by piercing a spike into the edging holes.

Hammer spikes into ground with a mallet.

After hammering spikes and nails to secure edging, trim off any excess fabric. I save my fabric scraps to line bottoms of plant pots.

Cut holes into weed barrier landscape fabric for plants.

The holes should be about double the width of the pots so there is enough room to dig. I've seen others slash the fabric so there are flaps to lift when planting.

Plant your plants in the spaces with cut outs.

So I actually did things backwards- I planted plants and then laid the weed barrier and edging. The first summer in our house, I wanted some flowers in the backyard so bad. However, before I could think of planting there was a huge pile of demolished house parts that needed to be removed. By the time I broke down the pile, summer was winding down. I couldn't wait to create a proper flower bed and I just stuck plants in the ground! Luckily all but one plant survived. I don't recommend this working backward method! When I got around to laying the weed barrier, I had to do major weeding all over again. Sigh.

Empty mulch onto the landscape fabric.

In the photo I'm tossing out the mulch by hand, but initially you can just dump the bag out on the fabric. The edging is a good indicator for filling in the mulch, just fill to the top of the edging. I left about 4 inches of soil uncovered around the base of the plants.

Rake mulch over the length of the landscape fabric.

After raking out the mulch, go back to fill in areas where fabric is showing. In the photo above, you can see that I laid out the mulch before I installed the edging. Why you ask? I don't really remember. Maybe I hadn't decided what type of edging I wanted to use, maybe I hadn't had time to go buy the edging. A lot of this project was worked on while my son napped and even if I was missing materials, I would complete what I could, and sometimes that meant steps were out of sequence.

Place rocks in front of the edging.

All of the rocks were found from digging around in my yard! As I was digging for various projects, I would set aside the rocks as I found them. At the time I didn't know how I would exactly use them. Once I had the edging in place I thought the rocks would be a nice compliment to the woodland theme I was going for.

AFTER!

The plants finally got the proper flower bed they deserved! The rocks I used along the front of the edging aren't attached in anyway. Some kids like to head straight for them and start to move them. I don't know if I should put in something more permanent. Other than that, the bed has maintained good condition. The weed barrier fabric is a great investment! It has saved me so much time. As the plants continue to mature I can add in some small plants in front, close to the rocks. I may move the hydrangea to another area. However, those tasks are down the road. For now, it's nice to have one patch of the yard done!

Thanks for reading! Follow me on Instagram http://instagram.com/this.dear.casa to see more adventures in home renovation, home decor, and gardening.

Nisaku Stainless Steel Semi-long Triangle Hoe

18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
This Dear Casa

• Ro

will weeds grow again on the weedbock after job is done?

• Flipturn

The thicker the weave of the landscaping fabric and the more overlapping there are to the individual cut pieces, (no gaps in between) the harder it will be for the weeds to push up through the barrier.

• Robyn Garner

Have you considered planting something to attract/feed butterflies, bees and hummingbirds using the trellis? 🦋 🐝 🦜 I highly recommend trumpet vine. It grows incredibly fast and the mentioned beneficial guys love it! I had two planted to cover an awning frame around my patio at my previous house the hummers actually would not only feed right next to me sitting there, they built a nest right at sitting eye level! Incredible experiences with them!

If you do plant trumpet vine, you can put them into large pots at the base of the fence to keep them from becoming invasive. It's easy to pull out any stray vines that may pop up occasionally. 😎

• This Dear Casa

Thanks for reading! No, I didn't think about trumpet vine! I have seen them around and they do look very pretty 🌸💗

• Karla Moore

You really did a great job with this project. Looks like you gave a beautiful face lift to the back drop as well; straining the wood fence and running a string trellis for climbers. What do you have in mind to climb? English ivy? Is there a flowering climber that can be "trained" on there?

• Krafty Mrs.K

Another easy growing annual is Moonflowers, a white morning glory type flower that blooms at night. You soak the big seeds over night before planting.