DIY Blanket Chest Style Hidden Litter Box

$50

I needed to find a creative way to hide the unsightly cat litter box so that it isn’t an eyesore when guests come over and liked the look of wooden blanket chests so I decided to conceal the litter box by disguising it with a hinge-top blanket chest design. When I found some inexpensive pine boards at the home improvement store, I decided to use them for a DIY blanket chest style cat litter enclosure with a hole in one side for the cat to enter and a hinged lid for access. The litter box is now hidden in plain view by a beautiful wooden chest. This was a great hidden storage solution for the litter box and provides both easy access for our cat to use and for us to remove and clean the litter box. Because the opening is built into the side, no one can tell what the chest is until they see the cat enter or emerge from it!

You Will Need:

• 1X4s
  • 2X4s
  • Plywood
  • Two hinges
  • Pocket hole screws
  • Wood glue
  • Stain
  • Sandpaper
  • Clear coat
  • Paint sprayer or brush

Sketch Project Design and Gather Materials

I gathered the boards I would be cutting for the blanket chest and drew a sketch of the design and the dimensions for the project on paper.

Cut Boards

Cut Boards

I cut out all of the boards to use to create the four sides of the box with a compound miter saw.

Drill Holes

Drill Holes

After making the cuts for the box, I used a pocket hole jig to create pocket holes in my boards.

Assemble the Cut Pieces

Assemble the Cut Pieces

I used a combination of wood glue and pocket hole screws to create a rectangular frame for the box. Line the boards up in the position to create the frame and attach them.

Screw Pieces Together
Piece the Box Together

Create the Top

Create the Top

I cut 2x4’s to length to create the boards that would make the top, and then used a jointer, thickness planer, wood glue, and finally, a belt sander and router to make a custom-sized and sturdy top for the box

Joint the Boards
Plane the Wood

Cut Plywood for Sides

Cut Plywood for Sides

I used a guide and circular saw to cut my plywood for all three sides and the bottom of the box.

Finish Edges

Finish Edges

After I cut the pieces for the sides and bottom, I used a router to finish the edges of the box frame.

Sand the Edges

Attach Bottom of Box

Attach Bottom of Box

I drilled pocket holes and then attached the bottom of the box with pocket hole screws.

Screw Together

Build Lid Support

Build Lid Support

I built a frame from 1x4s to support the lid then drilled pocket holes and attached it with pocket screws.

Put the Box Together

Stain Box and Lid

Stain the Box

I stained both the box and the lid with a dark brown color and then sanded them to bring out the natural wood grain.

Stain the Lid

Attach Hinges

Chisel Space for Hinges

I used a chisel first and then switched to a router to house set-in hinges and attached them with the supplied screws.

Use a Router
Attach Hinges

Install Sides

Install Sides

I dropped them down and then attached the three plywood sides from the inside with a nail gun.

Attach with a Nail Gun

Seal the Box

Seal the Box

I applied a clear coat to the box using a pneumatic paint sprayer. Use a clear sealant of your choice and apply it according to the manufacturer’s instructions in a well-ventilated area.

Attach Hinge Support

Attach Hinge Support

I attached a block made of scrap wood to the inside of the box with wood screws to fasten the hinge support assembly to.

Attach the Lid

Attach the Lid

I attached the lid with the supplied hinge screws and then installed the hinge support assembly and felt cabinet cushions to finish the lid installation.

Install Hydraulics
Attach Felt Cushions

No one wants their guests to enter their home and be greeted by a cat litter box and we could not be happier with our hidden litter box solution! I was able to mimic the look of a blanket chest and create a hideaway for our cat and litter box that no one can detect. By using inexpensive pine from the home improvement store and finishing it with stain, I was able to incorporate the litter box in a very clever and attractive way into our home decor!

DIY Hidden Litter Box

Have you devised a clever solution to hide and incorporate a cat litter box into your living space that isn’t an eyesore? Share your best hideaway solutions for necessary items or find inspiration for other clever projects like this one on Hometalk!

• 1X4s
  • 2X4s
  • Plywood

• Sunny

Very nice and pretty cat! What is the red and white thing in the doorway? Thanks!

• Ryan Hubbard

I think you’re talking about the kitchen mat that we put down under the kitty litter box. Just a floor mat

• Bianca Mitchell

The litter pan blanket chest is a beautiful piece of furniture and the hinged lid is genius. PS - I have serious workshop tool envy going on here. I'm a 60something year old lady who would love to be able to do that level of wood-crafting. I make do with hand tools so can knock together a decent bookcase but your blanket chest is beyond my hand tools and skill. Really love the entire tutorial you've presented here, thank-you!

• Michele

I loved the video! I have none of the woodworking tools you have, but a great project for someone who does.