Let the Sun Shine in #spring2020refresh

$40

We have a lovely large backyard at vacation home in the south. I have always enjoyed the dining room but felt that it lacked Open bright and wonderful view of the backyard. I previously had to put the patio chairs and table under the carport in the front of the house. So it was time for our outdoor spring redo!

it was time to hire the professionals to put in a new door and patio for me. But I had plans for the dining area to the new back patio.

Pre dining to back yard

Dining before slider

As you can see from the pictures, there was a large window to look at backyard, No access to the backyard unless you went out the front or the carport and walked around.There was a pass-through between the kitchen and the dining room area with Formica counter that ran the length of wall which was useless and took up space.

Dark and small space

Partition wall between kitchen and dining

The contractors had to remove the Formica counter to install slider door. The contractor said that he could cut that Formica counter down and replace but I wanted something new.

Now it was time to figure out what I was going to do with my bar area

Slider installed

Time to shop for ideas

Supports still in-tacked

Time to shop for ideas, I knew I did not want to replace the formica countertop so I started going to antique Mall’s and hardware stores for anything to give me ideas.

I purchased this9 foot pecan slab nine footer at an antique mall that was moving

Pecan slab

I purchased this pecans slab at an antique mall that was moving, so they discounted it 20% down to $32 for the whole slab. I’m super excited and the hardest part was figuring out how to get it in the small car! But I did it

Next step was to stop by Harbor freight and buy a cheap saw a palm sander and some paint brushes

Before discount

Next step was to stop by Harbor freight and buy a cheap saw, a palm sander, and some paint brushes since I didn’t have these down there.

I measured my opening to the bar area

Cut to opening

I measured my opening to the bar area only, I didn’t want to run it the length of the wall like the Formica countertop had been. Once I had it cut to size I took the palm sander and sanded down the top and as much as I could of the live edge without ruining it.

Once I laid it in place and attached it back to the L brackets and the shelf bracket

Adding polyurethane

All I had to do now is apply my polyurethane, I chose to do three coats because this is a vacation home and I wanted it to be durable.

I absolutely love how it turned out

Final shot of my wonderful backyard

It actually opened up my dining room to my backyard and now we can enjoy the wonderful patio and the sliding glass door.

Close up of live edge

Here is the final project

Final patio

As you can see it is being utilized already. The has been a wonderful transition and will have many more wonderful spring days here. Hope you enjoy and let me know your thoughts.

15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
Everything Red For Canada Day
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs