Log Planter

$10

How to repurpose a tree limb to make a log planter

My husband needed to cut a limb off our tree in the front yard , it had some rot and it was getting too close to our house .

This is the limb

After the limb was down , he cut off all the small branches , as shown in the picture above . He thought he could re purpose it , by turning it into a planter !

He started by using a hatchet and an ax to cut into the rotted area and along the length of the log , to open up an area .

After working with the hatchet , he switched to using a chisel. Then , to speed up the process he switched to using a drill , he used a bit called a speed bor. This really helped to speed up the process !

After working with the drill and chisel , he opened up the area , enough to use it as a planter

Next , he drilled some holes for drainage . These will also give me a way to secure some artificial flowers , until the weather is a little warmer and I can plant live greenery & flowers in the log planter .

Here , you can see all the holes drilled into the log .

He carried the log to the front yard and placed it in front of our tree . We placed a rock under the log to keep it securely in place .

Next , I put in some silk flowers and greenery , just to make it look nice until the weather warms up and I can plant real plants in it !

• A limb or log  (From our yard)
  • Silk flowers  (Craft or dollar stores)

• Annie

So when u put in Real flowers, do you just put dirt in there and then plant flowers?

• Pamela

Hi again ! I plan on posting an update with pictures , when I plant the rea! Flowers !

• Paula

I would try this . Maybe just plugs of plants . The carving of the whole thing looked super labor intensive. Plus the holes for drainage . Maybe once you add dirt will be made larger?. Thanks for the great idea.

• Pamela

Glad you liked the idea ! My husband is newly retired and likes working with his hands , this was one of his first projects !

Your idea of just putting in a few holes for plants would work great , too !

• Amy Farmer

I recently started doing this with hollowed out tree stumps and logs. The really neat looking ones that i want to preserve i use a wood sealer and plastic liner. Others i allow nature to take it's coarse and provide extra nutrients for my plants as the logs continue to degrade.

Thank u for posting.. I really hadn't thought of hollowing logs out myself.

• Pamela

Hi ! Thank you for commenting. My husband is also working on a stump !

We are letting nature take its course with them . If I was going to use it as an indoor planter , I would definitely line it.

You should post some of your projects 😊