How to Install a Stair Runner

$700
Advanced

We have a gorgeous staircase in our home with our new hardwood floors. However, it was a slippery danger zone! In fact, my husband fell down the stairs (don't worry, he was okay)! Once that happened, we knew we had to add a stair runner to make it safer.

You can check out all of the steps & tips over in this blog post.

Stairs - Before

Here are our stairs before. They were beautiful, but a tad slippery.

Gather Your Supplies

You’ll first want to make sure that you order enough fabric for your runner. To calculate this, measure the length of the tread, the height of the riser, and the depth of the nose. Adding all of these together and multiplying that sum by the number of stairs will give you the total length that you need to buy for your runner.

Cut Carpet Pad

We put a carpet pad under our runner to give it more cushion and to help it stay in place better. Cut your carpet pads for each step and apply it with carpet tape.

Consider Your Landing

We have a landing on our stairs, so we made sure to add carpet pad there too.

Cut Your Runner for the Landing

Because of that landing, we had to put two runners together on an angle. We cut the ends of two runners at a 45 degree angle and mitered the corners. These were joined together with carpet adhesive and an iron.

Attach the Runner

I used a nail gun and my air compressor to add staples underneath the lip of the stair and at the base. This kept my stair runner nice and snug and secure.

Stairs - After

Here's what it looks like now! A lot safer and it really does feel good on the feet.

For all of the supplies (including a link to the stair runner we used) and more tips, head over to this blog post.

The DIY Playbook

• D

Is your rail all metal? Please tell me where you purchased it? Ty!!

• D

Seems like it might keep accumulated dust from being quite so visible when standing beside...🙂 And i think it may be easier for us to do our stairs this way rather than open ended. LOVE your custom rail. 👍

• Mary McDonald

It’s interesting how I dont see stair runners with the rods anymore with them installed in the corner of each step to hold in the length of the rug. I grew up with an all hardwood floor and stairs. Nice thick carpet and underlay were held in by decorative wrought iron rods. That way when tired of the carpet or whatever, it won’t damage the oak stairs to take out the rug.

Your’s is nice though😊

• This looks great! I love the runner you chose!