DIY Hand Sanitizer

$10

Keep a small bottle of this homemade hand sanitizer made with aloe vera, alcohol and essential oils in your purse or car for those times when you need a little extra germ protection but don’t have access to a sink. Washing your hands is always the best way to prevent the spread of germs but sometimes soap and water just isn't available. Try this before you buy hand sanitizer from the store.

Learn how to make your own hand sanitizer

Check out this video to learn how to make your own hand sanitizer.

Ingredients for Hand Sanitizer

Go have a peek in your medicine cabinet and check if you have the following supplies. If not, you can get some of them at the drugstore (if there is any left) or as always, on Amazon, although they are selling out there too.

• 2/3 cup 99% rubbing alcohol or 120 proof Everclear.
  • 1/3 cup aloe vera gel.
  • 8-10 drops essential oil, such as lavender, peppermint or grapefruit
  • Bowl and spoon.
  • Funnel.
  • Empty liquid soap or hand sanitizer bottle.

Pour the aloe into the empty soap container

. Measure the aloe in a measuring cup and use a funnel to pour the aloe into the empty soap container.

Add the alcohol and shake

The most important thing is to use alcohol that is 60% or higher. Regular Smirnoff vodka won’t work. Use the 120 proof like I did or get 99% rubbing alcohol from the pharmacy (FYI, they are probably out of stock).

Add 8-10 drops of your favorite essential oils and shake again.

Ready to use

To use squirt a small amount into the palm of your hand and rub it in.

Adrienne Carrie Hubbard | Crafty Little Gnome

• Diana Maberry

Do you have to use essential oils. I am allergic to almost all of them.

• Bev
      7 minutes ago

My son and his wife made hand sanitizer using aloe and alcohol only... also because of allergies. Essential oils are mainly for scenting and are NON- essential (sorry  ).

• Elaine maitz

No rubbing alcohol to be found...Can vodka be substituted?

• Chriss Grijak

That is true. For hand sanitizer to be effective, the alcohol content should be at least 65%.

• Katie Walling

Can you put vitamin e in this recipe to make it not so harsh or what can you use to moisturize your hands, I know the ones in the stores have moisturize in them?

• Bev
      14 minutes ago

Aloe vera IS a moisturizer; great for treating sunburn, small cuts, minor irritations and razor burn; 'it has soothing, cooling and moisturizing properties'.

• Patty

I'm going to try this. As Soo as I can find aloe vera. Thank you for instructions making hand sanitizer. Will make my own from now on . If I find aloe vera .

• Bev
      18 minutes ago

My son couldn't find aloe vera gel so they bought the actual plant. YouTube has a video showing exactly how to do it.... amazingly simple! All they used was two leaves off the plant and some 95% alcohol (which is currently hard to find, but we had several on hand already).

• Mary

I had a hard time finding sanitizer so while at the dollar tree i found packs of make up remover wipes 25 in a pack for a dollar and i opened each one which already had cold cream like substances in them for your face, and added 70% isopropyl alcohol to them. About 1/2 cup to each. I carry them in my purse, and they're in my car as well. They work great. And fyi i tried then on my face before adding the alcohol and i think they work better than the expensive neutrogena brand! Stay clean y'all