DIY Hand Sanitizer

$10

Keep a small bottle of this homemade hand sanitizer made with aloe vera, alcohol and essential oils in your purse or car for those times when you need a little extra germ protection but don’t have access to a sink. Washing your hands is always the best way to prevent the spread of germs but sometimes soap and water just isn't available. Try this before you buy hand sanitizer from the store.

Learn how to make your own hand sanitizer

Check out this video to learn how to make your own hand sanitizer.

Ingredients for Hand Sanitizer

Go have a peek in your medicine cabinet and check if you have the following supplies. If not, you can get some of them at the drugstore (if there is any left) or as always, on Amazon, although they are selling out there too.

• 2/3 cup 99% rubbing alcohol or 120 proof Everclear.
  • 1/3 cup aloe vera gel.
  • 8-10 drops essential oil, such as lavender, peppermint or grapefruit
  • Bowl and spoon.
  • Funnel.
  • Empty liquid soap or hand sanitizer bottle.

Pour the aloe into the empty soap container

. Measure the aloe in a measuring cup and use a funnel to pour the aloe into the empty soap container.

Add the alcohol and shake

The most important thing is to use alcohol that is 60% or higher. Regular Smirnoff vodka won’t work. Use the 120 proof like I did or get 99% rubbing alcohol from the pharmacy (FYI, they are probably out of stock).

Add 8-10 drops of your favorite essential oils and shake again.

Ready to use

To use squirt a small amount into the palm of your hand and rub it in.

31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Adrienne Carrie Hubbard | Crafty Little Gnome

• Katie Walling

Can you put vitamin e in this recipe to make it not so harsh or what can you use to moisturize your hands, I know the ones in the stores have moisturize in them?

• Bev

Aloe vera IS a moisturizer; great for treating sunburn, small cuts, minor irritations and razor burn; 'it has soothing, cooling and moisturizing properties'.

• Fanny

Can one use the edible aloe vera gel?

• Divermom

Everclear 120 proof is only 60% alcohol -- not high enough to make a sanitizing product. Did you mean to use the original Everclear 190 proof? That's 95% alcohol and would work with your proportions.

• Mary

I had a hard time finding sanitizer so while at the dollar tree i found packs of make up remover wipes 25 in a pack for a dollar and i opened each one which already had cold cream like substances in them for your face, and added 70% isopropyl alcohol to them. About 1/2 cup to each. I carry them in my purse, and they're in my car as well. They work great. And fyi i tried then on my face before adding the alcohol and i think they work better than the expensive neutrogena brand! Stay clean y'all

• Gabrielle Falk

Good idea. But how do you prevent them from drying out? I used to buy sanitised hand-towels, but as soon as you opened them, within a small space of time, they dried out. ps I always made sure the lid was firmly closed. TKU

• Maria Villena

Hello thought to share this link just to be safe and no one hurt.

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/cleaning/tips/a32773/cleaning-products-never-mix/