Bassett Chest In Basic Black

$35

I've had this large Bassett chest of drawers in my stash for a couple years. Yes I said a couple years. I've actually been using it to store some of my supplies but it was time to take on this job.

BEFORE

Step one is always give the project a thorough cleaning. I used Simple Green, a Scotch Brite Scouring Sponge, and clean water for rinsing. I also wiped down the drawers and removed them to vacuum inside the chest.

There were a few dents and dings which I repaired using Bondo. The entire piece then got a light sanding using 220 grit sand paper. Then I wiped down the chest to remove sanding dust.

When I removed the drawers, I saw the dust panels under the drawers were sagging. To remedy this, my hubby cut small blocks of wood and attached them under the panels. Before attaching them, we made sure they would not interfere with sliding the drawers in.

I chose to use Fusion Mineral Paint in Coal Black. One of the best reasons for using this paint is it contains a built in top coat. Who doesn't love not having to add the step of using a separate sealer after painting? This company does sell sealers if you feel your piece needs added protection.

I taped off the edge of the wood where the drawers sit before painting. It is very important to paint this for a finished look. I've learned the hard way that it's a must to paint this part because it shows when the drawers are closed and in place.

I freshened up the drawer handles with a couple coats of Rust-Oleum Universal Spray Paint in True Gold and lined with the drawers with this pretty black and white floral wrapping paper I got on clearance at World Market.

Black was the perfect choice to give this chest of drawers a fabulous new look.

To see more: https://www.instagram.com/leapoffaith090117/

• Julie

Just one coat of paint, or did it require more? Thanks

• Katie

how to remove water stains from a kitchen table

• Leap of Faith

Are you going to refinish the table? I can better answer your question if I know this.

• Jennifer
    2 hours ago

Can you get this paint at home depot

• Leap of Faith
      42 minutes ago

Hey Jennifer! HD doesn’t sell it. You can go on the Fusion Mineral Paint website and find out who your closest retailer is. Let me know if I can help❤️