Macrame Triple Plant Hanger

$40

When I began this project, all I knew for sure was that I absolutely love the mustard yellow cording. Other than that, I had no idea what I was going to make. I just kept knotting and experimenting, and the end result is quite pretty. A triple macrame plant hanger. I also adore the wooden pole I decoupaged in Rifle Paper Company napkins (tutorial coming next week). This wall hanging definitely has a romantic boho vibe!

getting started

Cut 30 pieces of rope, each measuring 14 feet long. Wrap a small piece of masking tape around each end of rope to prevent fraying while weaving the design. Next, tie each piece to the wooden pole using a Lark’s Head Knot. 

You now have 30 Lark’s Head Knots tied onto the pole and 60 individual cords hanging. To follow the instructions correctly, you need to understand the following key. While knotting, try to keep each horizontal row even, and always go from left to right. To make a proper Square Knot, see the tutorial here.

plant hanger - segment 1

The first 6 Lark’s Head Knots (the first 12 individual cords) will be used to form the plant hanger in the first segment. Row 1 – start with 1st cord: 3K  (starting with 1st individual cord from the left, tie 3 Square Knots)

Row 2 – start with 3rd cord: 2K (starting with 3rd individual cord from the left, tie 2 Square Knots)Row 3 – start with 1st cord: 3KRow 4 – start with 3rd cord: 2KRow 5 – using the first 4 cords: 1 HALF SQUARE SPIRAL KNOT* (The length of this knot is 20 ties.) See a video tutorial for this knot on my blog.

Row 5 – now using the next 4 cords: 1 HALF SQUARE SPIRAL KNOT (The length of this knot is 20 ties.)Row 5 – using the last 4 cords: 1 HALF SQUARE SPIRAL KNOT (The length of this knot is 20 ties.)

Row 6 – start with the 3rd cord from left: 2K, S2Row 7 – start with the 1st cord from left: 3KRow 8 – start with 3rd cord: 3K (As you tie the 3rd Square Knot, a circular pocket will start to form.)

Row 9 – below the last row of knows, make a row of Alternating Square KnotsAn inch below the last row, make a Wrapped Knot. The first segment is now complete.

plant hanger - segment 2

Now that the first segment is completed, the next 12 Lark’s Head Knots (24 individual cords) will comprise segment two. Row 1 – start with the 1st cord from left: 6KRow 2 – start with 3rd cord from left: 5K, S2Row 3 – start with 5th cord: 5KRow 4 – start with 7th cord: 4K, S2Row 5 – start with 9th cord: 4KRow 6 – start with 11th cord: 3K, S2Row 7 – start with 13th cord: 3KRow 8 – start with 15th cord: 2K, S2Row 9 – start with 17th cord: 2KRow 10 – start with 19th cord: 1K, S2

Row 11 – start with 21st cord: 1KRow 12 – start with 19th cord: 1K, S2Row 13 – start with 17th cord: 2KRow 14 – start with 15th cord: 2K, S2Row 15 – start with 13th cord: 3KRow 16 – start with 11th cord: 3K, S2Row 17 – start with 9th cord: 4KRow 18 – start with 3rd cord: 5K, S2Row 19 – start with 1st cord: 6KRow 20: below the last row of knows, make a row of Alternating Square Knots (you will see a circular pocket starting to form)An inch below the last row, make a Wrapped Knot. The second segment is now complete.

plant hanger - segment 3

Now that the second segment is completed, the next 12 Lark’s Head Knots (24 individual cords) will comprise segment three. Row 1 – start with 1st cord from left: 6KRow 2 – start with 3rd cord: 5K, S2Row 3 – start with 1st cord: 5K, S4Row 4 – start with 3th cord: 4K, S6Row 5 – start with 1st cord: 4K, S8Row 6 – start with 3rd cord: 3K, S10Row 7 – start with 1st cord: 3K, S12Row 8 – start with 3rd cord: 2K, S14Row 9 – start with 1st cord: 2K, S16Row 10 – start with 3rd cord: 1K, S18Row 11 – start with 1st cord: 1K, S20Row 12 – start with 3rd cord: 1K, S18Row 13 – start with 1st cord: 2K, S16Row 14 – start with 3rd cord: 2K, S14Row 15 – start with 1st cord: 3K, S12Row 16 – start with 3rd cord: 3K, S10Row 17 – start with 1st cord: 4K, S8Row 18 – start with 3rd cord: 4K, S6Row 19 – start with 1st: 5K, S4Row 20 – start with 3rd: 5K, S2Row 21 – start with 1st: 6KRow 22 – below the last row of knows, make a row of Alternating Square Knots (you will see a circular pocket starting to form)Finish with a Wrapped Knot.

Wendy at myfrenchtwist.com

• BeeZee

All I can say is wow! I love how you created these plant hangers...I would need a "knotting for dummies " tutorial...great project!

• Gidget

They are beautiful. I've been drawn to macrame decor these days too. It's simple elegance!