Asked on Mar 6, 2020

How do I lay rock?

JaniceDianacirce70Johnavallance82
+14

I want to lay rock with out grass and weeds coming through it

• I would pit down landscape plastic first, then add the rocks.

• Vimarhonor

Hello.

I hear and completely understand your frustration.

Weeds are tenacious and even grow on weed barrier and mulches'

Compacting your soil and laying paver base does help.

Absolutely the best solution would be is to cement the rocks into place so that no chance of weeds or grass can come through.

Another chemical free solution for getting rid of the weeds and grass in rock- is a propane burner called Weed Dragon. We used that on her P gravel driveway and along our shoreline.

• Kathy Gunter Law

You can put down a weed barrier which is probably the most effective. You can also spray with a weed killer. Here's a recipe:

2 cups white vinegar

¼ cup salt

Squirt of dawn

Mix in a spray bottle. If you have a larger area, you can mix in a garden sprayer with larger quantities. Use when it will not be raining for a few hours so that it isn’t washed away.

• First you need to know how nature works. All the prep work in the world will not prevent weeds. Wind, wildlife and people spread weeds. The breeze blows and seeds land on top of the rocks and sprout. Easy enough to remedy, just spritz with white vinegar and they die. I have a 2 gallon pump sprayer and just walk around and treat when necessary. Works really fast in direct sun. I don't use chemicals as I have pets and visiting children, and many commercial weed killers can contain cancer causing agents. Since I live in a drought ridden area, the vinegar is the best option for me.

Another option would be to use polymeric sand, but it is a more permanent installation. Here is some information to help you decide.

https://www.sakrete.com/blog/applying-polymeric-sand-to-an-existing-patio-or-walkway

https://youtu.be/qTZWdnw4oxY

• TheHoneycombHome

You can buy landscape netting that is designer for exactly this purpose, that is the easiest way to do it.

• Janice

Thank you. I will try this

Hi Janice: You can get a product called Ground Clear. It kills everything in it's wake, so be careful with it. If you don't like chemicals, and I don't because the little critters living under the ground can be harmed, I use the following:

Homemade Weed Killer:

1 gallon of white vinegar

2 cups of Epsom salts

1/4 cup of dish washing detergent, like Dawn.

Mix the vinegar and salt until the salt is completely dissolved.

Mix in the Dawn until mixed well, but not all fuzzy and sudsy,sort of swirl it around.

Put in a spray bottle and spray the weeds liberally, in the morning after the dew has gone. Then, by evening the weeds should be dead or on their way out. Don't spray anything you want to keep or it will die too. I have used this and it works quite well. Also, it's good for making an edging as it kills only what it touches. If you have something like a piece of cardboard, hold it up and down, edgewise, and spray the area you want as an edge. Just be careful not to spray your flowers and/or bushes. Good luck

Good luck

• This is always tough as it's near impossible to stop things from growing through. You can sprinkle a bunch of salt down then lay some landscape cloth over it, then the rocks but in the end, you'll likely still get stuff through.

• Em

Lay a barrier of roofing felt down first. It lasts a long time. It comes in rolls at Home Depot and Lowe's.

• Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom

I would use some sort of weed control fabric underneath.

• Linda

Try laying down a barrier fabric then apply the rock on top to keep the weeds from coming through.

• Hi Janice - Even with all of the ground cover, the weeds still seem to find their way through. When it happens... This is the most effective all-natural weed killer DIY that we use. It's even been featured on Hometalk and pinned thousands of times! Hope this helps! Hugs, Holly

https://pinkfortitude.com/weed-killer/

PS - We have a FREE eBook with recipes for all of my homemade and all-natural cleaners. You can download it here --> https://pinkfortitude.com/thank#GreenClean

• Deb K

Hi Janice, you want to put landscape fabric under the rock, this creates a weed barrier, hope this video helps you out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q04R3V-WVdw

• Johnavallance82

Hi Janice.

Kill off all the weeds first. Lay a layer of newspaper and then a weed suppressant liner. If they are Rockery type rocks arrange on top and fill in between with Gravell. If you are laying a patio or path. Lay your rocks or slabs on a Sand and Cement mix. and either but them up together or leave gaps and fill with same........If a jobs worth doing, it's worth doing well, Much less of a problem in the end!!

• Dianacirce70

You can do several things. One way would be to cover in landscaping fabric before covering in rock. It would be time consuming, and to be cost effective you would either want to till or use a spade to remove the vegetation, and possibly a couple inches of dirt before laying the fabric.

• Janice

Thanks for all your help everyone has been very helpful