How to Dye Wood Flowers - Dip Dye Method

$5

There are a lot of reasons to choose wood flowers for your crafting and wedding projects. Probably the most exciting is because you can dye them any color you want! There are no limitations on what you can create. In this tutorial, I will show you the first skill to learn - the dip dye method.

Let's get started!
You will need just a few supplies:
  • wood flowers from www.ohyourelovely.com
  • craft acrylic paint or latex paint in your chosen color
  • warm tap water (preferably in a bowl or plastic container that can get stained with paint) 
  • a fork (note this will be used to mix paint so it probably won't go back into the rotation in the silverware drawer!)

While I haven't noticed a big difference in water temperature, I prefer either room temp or slightly warm tap water when I dye my flowers.

You can use all sorts of different paints and inks to dye wood flowers. My go-to is craft acrylic paint. It can be found at your favorite local craft store and has a large color selection.

You want about a 2:1 ratio of water to paint. I like to experiment so instead of measuring the water and paint, I squeeze in a bit of paint into the water, mix it up, and dye a flower to see if I need to adjust my ratio (more on that in a second!).

My favorite way to mix the paint into the water is to use a trusty fork and start whisking. *Note* - Be sure to get the paint that settles to the bottom of the bowl for best paint saturation.

Once the paint is fully mixed in the water grab your wood flower and drop it in!

You can use your fork to fish the flower out and flip it in the paint/water mixture but I like to use my hands (I’m a messy, crafty gal and a little soap and water cleans my hands right up after!). You can also wear gloves. Just saying.

If the paint saturation seems a bit too light, add more paint to your mixture, whisk in the new paint and dunk your flower into the mixture again. If the paint seems to be very thick on the flower, you want to add more water to your bowl to thin the mixture out. *Recommendation* - mix the paint/water mixture after dyeing every 3-5 flowers. Sometimes the paint will settle to the bottom of the bowl.

I like using cardboard egg cartons to place my flowers in while they dry but you can also set up parchment paper on a tray. Most flowers will take around 24 hours to dry. Set them aside in a place with good air flow and wait until the flowers are dry to the touch.

Once they are dried you are ready to work on whatever wood floral arrangement or fun DIY project your heart desires! If you have any questions please leave them in the comments and until next time, happy crafting! 

-XO Stefanie

31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Stefanie -Oh You're Lovely

• Christine carlsen
    Christine carlsen

Do you have to use solawood flowers?

• Linda Haney
    Linda Haney

If sealed, can they be used outdoors?

• Great question! Polycrylic spray can help prolong the life of our flowers outdoors but I wouldn't recommend placing them in direct sunlight (colors may fade over time) or in a place that is completely exposed to weather (rain, snow, etc.). As they are made from an organic material, there is a chance of mold. That said, I personally have had a wreath using our bark flowers and polycrylic spray on my front door with an awning helping to protect it up for months at a time!

• Giselle
    Giselle

Do you ship to Canada or have a Canadian supplier? Your flowers are absolutely gorgeous!

• Giselle
      Giselle

Thank you so much for replying! I will definitely be going to your site!

• Lisa Zander
    Lisa Zander

Love this project! Where did you find the little dog container?

• Tamara Buckhalter Hoy
    Tamara Buckhalter Hoy

I just received my flowers and was hoping to dye in a regular acrylic paint, then brush on some metallic acrylic to the tips. Have you tried the metallic acrylic? Just wondering if it would work ok. Thanks!