Flip a Standard Shelf Into an Industrial Crate-styled Beauty!

$29

I had just visited my son's place, noting he didn't have a place for folded clothing inside his closet. Instead, everything sat on the floor in one big heap. Hmm... I love problem solving projects, so I made a mental note to check my junk stash once I got home to see if I could create a fix.

Opening my garage door, I was met with this standard and very grubby shelf I had picked off the curb awhile back, and thought... would this suffice?

Finding it to be a perfect fit, it was time to figure out a way to make it sing...

Wait until you see how industrially cool it looks now!

PS: I want it back...

If you wish for more information about this project, please click the blog post link at the bottom of this post.

This standard shelving is easy to find most anywhere.

The shelf was taken apart, washed down with soapy water, then lightly sanded to clean it up.

Since the shelf had a somewhat rustic appearance, I decided to stencil it up 'shipping crate style.'

Stencil source:

Shipping Crate Stamps HERE from Funky Junk's Old Sign Stencils

With a very dry-to-the-touch paint loaded stencil brush, random images were stenciled onto the shelves in black paint so they appeared to have been made from a cut up shipping crate.

The legs of the shelves were then painted in black to off-set the crate stamps.

Can you visualize it already?!

The shelving unit was then re-assembled, then coated with a layer of hemp oil for an added layer of protection, while enhancing the wood and giving the paint more lustre.

NOW it was ready to take on the world with its new look!

Careful consideration for the stencil placement was made to ensure each crate stamp would be seen the right way up, and in places the clothing wouldn't likely cover all the time.

It sure has a cool vibe, doesn't it?!

Since I was running it to my son's place in under an hour, I quickly staged it outdoors as an entertainment side table which is equally cool! I mean, what can't it become?!

Then into the truck it went!

What a difference! This shelf now looks so industrially stylish, pretty enough to use in (my) living room!

And yes, it worked fabulous in my son's closet! Let's just hope it is actually getting covered with clothes now and then... we can hope.

How would you put this shelf to use in your own home?

Visit more info on THIS project PLUS many other shipping crate styled projects HERE!

And check out more on this shelf PLUS MANY other funky shelf projects HERE

Funky Junk Interiors - Donna

• DN

I cannot find this type of shelf anywhere. I know yours was found discarded. Any suggestions? BTW it is very cool 😎!

• Sandra

Very nice work!!

I would definately put that to good use in my living room as a plant shelf!! Or a kitty play area.

• Amanda

Love this. Great job!

• ToTo
    15 minutes ago

This is fantastic! I’m definitely going to try one on my own- probably won’t be as good as yours though- good work!