DIY Wood and Copper Climbing Trellis

$40

I realized that my hardenbergia was not thriving because it is a climbing vine and didn’t have anything to climb! Hardenbergias produce stunning purple flowers, is native to Australia, and makes a lovely addition to any space. I decided to build a wood and copper trellis to help bring the plant back to health and to give it a structure to climb with an artful design. This wood and copper trellis was simple and inexpensive to make using leftover pine and copper pipes and adds so much visual interest to my backyard.

You Will Need:

• Climbing plant (I used a hardenbergia, which is native to Australia, but choose your favorite)
  • Pot
  • Pressure-treated pine
  • Copper pipe and fittings
  • Pipe cutter
  • Drill
  • 40mm galvanized screws
  • Miter saw
  • Wood stain
  • Paintbrush
  • Glue

Measure and Fit Trellis Base in Pot

Measure and Fit Trellis Base in Pot

I measured the height of my pot and cut strips of leftover pressure-treated pine to form a ‘U’ shape inside the pot. I placed one board horizontally in the bottom of the pot and then two side pieces vertically.

Measure the Pot
Fit the Trellis

Sand and Attach Trellis Frame Pieces

Sand and Attach Trellis Frame Pieces

After sanding my pine frame pieces, I screwed them together with 40mm galvanized screws to construct the bottom half of my trellis structure.

Attach Trellis Frame Pieces

Build Trellis Uprights

Build Trellis Uprights

After completing the bottom half of the trellis, I set my miter saw to 5 degrees and cut two 1.8 meter long pieces with parallel angles to form the main uprights of the trellis. I cut, sanded, and then screwed the pieces together with 40mm galvanized screws.

Cut Upright Pieces
Fit Together

Connect Upper and Lower Trellis Components

I measured and marked where to join the top and bottom trellis assemblies and screwed them together to complete the trellis design.

Connect Pieces
Stand Upright

Stain the Trellis

Stain the Trellis

I stained the wooden trellis the same color as the other timber in my backyard. It is a teak looking shade that looks amazing with the copper pipes. I applied the stain evenly over the surface with a paintbrush.

Measure for Copper Piece Placement

Measure for Copper Piece Placement

I started by finding the center of the wooden trellis and measured 70mm out from there to get the two copper uprights in the center of my frame. I did this for each horizontal piece. I drilled pilot holes and then used a 13mm spade bit to create the openings for my copper pipe.

Drill Pilot Holes
Drill Holes

Cut Copper Pipes into Climbing Structure

I cut my copper pieces using a pipe cutter. I attached the blade onto my pre-marked lines, tightened it, and then gave it a few spins. As it cuts the copper, keep tightening until it cuts through.

Cut Copper with a Blade
Cut Copper

Build Copper Climbing Structure

Build Copper Climbing Structure

I dry fitted and then glued the copper pieces together; measuring, marking, and cutting as I went. I created a copper climbing structure that consisted of two vertical side pieces with several horizontal pieces for the vine to climb in and through. I created straight copper pipe sides and used copper t-joint and 90-degree copper fittings that I attached with glue. You can get as creative and intricate with your design as your time and skill allow.

Glue Copper Pieces Together
Glue Together

Arrange Trellis in Pot

Arrange Trellis in Pot

I added heavy rocks to the bottom of the pot to hold the trellis in place and then covered the base and filled the pot with potting soil. I created a hole for my plant and planted it just underneath the trellis base to ensure it would start climbing soon. 

Fill with Soil
Add a Plant

I am thrilled with how the copper and wood trellis design turned out and how wonderful it looks in the backyard. The contrast of the wood with the copper as well as the design appeal of the structure are amazing and add so much interest to what was before just a plain pot. Over time, the copper will age and tarnish and add even more visual appeal to the trellis. This was a very simple project to complete in a weekend.

Wood and Copper Trellis
Wood and Copper Climbing Plant Trellis

Have you created a DIY trellis for backyard plants or incorporated wood and copper design elements in your outdoor spaces? Share your outdoor design style ideas or find inspiration for more DIY trellis and garden decor projects on Hometalk.

30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized

• Mary Russell

can the plant grasp and hold the copper to climb it?

• Rina

Yes you can either guide and tie or the plant has its own tendrils or way to grip or/and to attach. You would have to know what vine you will use and it's properties to know if assistance is needed or not.