Get the Look You Want by Upcycling Your Dining Room Chairs

$20

I’ve been helping my parents furnish their new home. The table and chairs they had in their old house didn’t look right in their new home once they moved.

I helped them find some new chairs but they needed a bit of TLC

The before picture

my parents weren’t so excited when I came home with these.

but the curls and details are beautiful and I’m glad they gave me the go ahead because they turned out better than I expected.

This is what the table and chairs looked like before we upcyled them both.

I have already written about the table transformation (check out my page to see that also)

I roped dad into helping me on this project. We live 590 miles from each other. My visit was only for 5 days so to get the table and chairs done in one visit I needed some help.

firstly we removed all the seats.

I opted for frenchic lazy range paint. It’s honestly my favourite and the best paint to use. It’s got the primer and wax all included and dries within an hour.

All you have to do is clean the woodwork first. I recommend doing this with sugar soap. This will get rid of all the grease and grime built up so the paint will grip the woodwork.

I opted not to do any sanding down, with this paint you don’t need to.

we painted each chair 3 times.

Once all the chairs has been painted this is what they looked like.

I think the grey shows the beauty of the curves much better than the dark wood.

Fabric was really expensive. Looking for something hard wearing.

They wanted something to pick up the yellow in the rest of the kitchen but nothing was quite right.

Then mum spotted yellow tartan curtains in the sale. They were perfect.

Laying out the seat pads I cut the curtain to size enough for all six seats.

remember to leave enough of the fabric to fold over to secure to the bottom.

I also opted to leave the lining on the curtains as the seat was a dark colour I didn’t want to Jeopardise that coming thought the yellow.

One cut to size. Using a staple gun I started to staple the fabric to the underside of the seat.

top tip. Pull the fabric tight and evenly in order not to allow a loose fit or Taught lines when you turn it back over.

I cut sections out on the corners so the fabric wasn’t too thick when folding it down.

Keep stabling all the way around, keeping the fabric taught.

yoo should end up with something that looks like this.

Don’t t worry about the Edges. I have a quick tip to stop them fraying too.

you could stitch the edges of the fabric. But that’s a lot of effort to stop it from fraying.

my time saving top tip would be to use glue. I but like using nail varnish to top your tights from laddering. The glue holds the strands together and stops it from fraying. It takes seconds to do too so it’s a winner

Once all dry fit back to the chair.

and ta da!

Finished upcyled set

Ta Da

To see more: //www.instagram.com/revamp_interior

• Pam Oldfield

You did an incredible job and they look great! Now for the finishing touch you should add a picture with yellow and grey and some bright colors for a POP! I have included a couple of suggestions to give you an idea. I have The Shady Lady Interiors in Oklahoma City. Art puts the icing on the cake!

• Angie

Love the chairs and their curves. Always a winner when they aren’t like everyone else’s. The Frenchie paint sounds incredible, any idea of options for us Canadian painters?