DIY Feature Wall of Built In Bookshelves

$300

I have to say, this might be my favorite home project to date! I will let you all decide for yourself, but man oh man what a statement this wall is now! The best part of this wall of built in bookshelves, it only cost a few hundred dollars.

You know me, I love a good before and after, especially when it doesn’t break the bank. If anything, I hope my built in bookshelf wall will inspire you to create a statement wall in your home.

When we moved into our rustic beach house, I knew exactly where I wanted to put my  antique fireplace mantel.

After living with this layout for a few months, I felt like the wall looked bare. This is a large and tall wall that swallowed up my mantel.

I decided that I needed a few bookshelves around the mantel!

My favorite go-to second hand “thrift store” is facebook marketplace! Why travel to thrift stores when most of the time you can see what’s on sale by their facebook page or a FB marketplace listing! I tell ya, shopping is getting too easy.

Let me show you two fabulous bookshelves I found on the marketplace.

It must have been meant to be because the width is exactly the same as the fireplace mantel. Total score!

My “design plan” was to paint the bookcases and fireplace mantel the same color and secure them to the wall so it looked like one unit. So I started to paint. Below is the color I chose.

The color is Sherwin Williams Cityscape.

Once the painting was done, I removed the baseboards that were in front of the bookcase unit and secured all three pieces to the wall.

I then decided that the wall still wasn’t complete.

You probably know what came next…..I started to paint the entire wall.

Once again, I felt like it still needed something else.

Why not add a little DIY board and batten?

In our previous home, I installed board and batten in the hallway off of the garage to create a modern farmhouse style mudroom.

I loved the way this turned out. I did decide this time around that I would add vertical boards too.

Other than adding the vertical boards, the only thing I did different was to cut the bottom and top of the boards at 45 degree angles to “blend” better with the baseboards. I shared in another post  how to install board and batten without removing the baseboards.

The board and batten was the finishing piece to the DIY wall of built in bookshelves!

Lindsey

• Gail

And then you also changed color???? It sure looks like you did after you added the board and Batten.

• Ann Brookens

It looks like she stopped painting the gray right above the shelves, added the batton, then finished painting all of it gray.