DIY Spring Straw Hat Front Door Decor!

$4

Create pretty(and budget-friendly) spring decor for your front door or any room in your home with Dollar Store items and recycled flowers!

If you're like me you probably change out your seasonal decor every year. What was 'pretty' last year may not be so this year. Am I right? Well, that usually means additional materials and cost! So this year, to keep both to a minimum, I decided to recycle some flowers I used in one of the spring wreaths I made last year.

I'm still loving pastels this spring so they were perfect for what I had planned! In addition to my recycle flowers I picked up a few items at my local Dollar Tree. That included this adorable straw hat, colorful and pretty scarf, and one additional bunch of faux flowers because I fell in love with its textured leaves!

The first thing I did was remove the pink bow on the hat. (I'll save it for another project). Instead I wanted to add a bit more color to the hat with this pretty scarf! Since it was a bit too long, I decided to cut it in half (Again I will use the other half for another project).

Then I grabbed a needle and thread and attached it to the underside. No worries about the thread showing because they will soon be covered up! Note: I chose to sew it on because glue or adhesive would have damaged the material and I can also remove it easily if I want.

Now that the scarf was attached it was time to decorate the hat!

I started by separating the faux stem with textured leaves with a wire cutter and then gluing them onto the hat. I continued this process by layering the other faux flowers I'd recycled around the brim of the hat.

You could totally be finished with decorating the hat at this point, but I wanted to fill in the empty space with some lettering.

I found this sweet window cling at our local Dollar General. It had the perfect colorful lettering I was looking for!

The letters were as one and since the brim has a bit of a curve, I decided to cut the letters in half. Then I brushed a thin layer of Mod Podge onto the backside and pressed them into place.

This pretty and colorful spring straw hat will be the perfect welcome to guests on your front door!

Or in any room in your home for touch of spring! Since I recycled all but one bunch of flowers, the total cost for this project was $4!!!

CD's CountryLiving

• Gabrielle Falk
    Yesterday

how lovely is that idea. i guess you could change the colours, for each passing season. providing the hat stands up to the weather of time. could you spray some sort of lacquer on the hat, or would that eventually break-down; even though, probably, (the door - that is) is under shelter. so pretty. and even for a duffer like me, not too hard to accomplish.

• CD's CountryLiving
      Yesterday

Thank you so much, Gabrielle! My front door is sheltered by our porch so the hat is holding up well!! But some type of lacquer might work. And yes this was super easy to make!!🥰

• Carolynne Burkey
    2 hours ago

I have this scarf😊, and my grand girl’s outgrown straw Easter hat. I will be making this for her to decorate her bedroom door💗 Thanks🤗