Faux Marble Fireplace

$21

Old tiles? Ugly tiles? Just want a new look? Covering your existing fireplace tiles with contact paper is both transformative and inexpensive. It's a great option for if you're renting- or just don't have a big budget! This entire project only cost me $21 and completely elevated the space.

*please note. This is a non-working fireplace. If you have a working fireplace, I strongly suggest further research.

*these are ceramic tiles. Not bricks. Contact paper will not adhere to bricks

Before

These ceramic brick tiles were just so dark and dismal. I wanted to brighten up the space without making any permanent changes. I chose marbled contact paper because it's bright and white, plus, who doesn't love marble?! You, of course, don't have to go with marble! There are SO many options out there.

Materials and Prep

• contact paper of choice (I got mine from Amazon)
  • cleaner- I used a a homemade cleaner of white vinegar and citrus peels
  • -microfibre cloth
  • tape measure or ruler
  • pencil
  • scissors

Prep:

• Before ordering contact paper, measure your space to get the square footage. When in doubt, order more than you think you'll need to make room for errors.
  • Clean the tiles really well and let dry
  • Measure the tiles you will be covering- it's probably best to measure a few different tiles, as they may vary in size
  • Mark the measurements with a pencil on the back of the contact paper

Cut the Contact Paper to Size

• Using the measurements on the back of the contact paper, cut it to size

Attaching the Contact Paper

This is the easy part!

• Simply peel off the backing and begin sticking onto existing tile
  • I chose to allow grout lines to show, but you could opt not to if you prefer.

Ta Da!

There you go! Quick, easy, cheap and totally transformative!

• Lorraine MzMedic McCauley

Please tell me, what did you use to make the contact paper adhere to the brick?

• Hattie

Hi Loraine! Like it says in the tutorial, these are ceramic tiles made to look like bricks. I’m not sure how to get contact paper to stick on bricks. Sorry!

• MUMNUT

How fireproof and safe is this?

• Diane Davis

Once the glue dries out from the heat will it continue to stick?

• Sew crazy

I’m glad you put your warnings in the first paragraph! Not a working fireplace, what a mess and fire hazzard that would be. Second that you have tiles, not bricks as contact paper would not stick to bricks. Your bedroom fireplace is now gorgeous!

• Hattie

i have seen working fireplaces with contact paper! But I’m sure they used a special kind for that. Thank you!

• 02btov
    17 minutes ago

I thought I was going to hate it, but I really, really like the way it turned out. It's perfect for that room.