Bathroom Vanity Refresh

$30

My builder grade Master Bathroom vanity was bad. Really bad. After two years I finally decided to do something about it and got to work. Here’s a before photo of the bathroom.

Hideous Before Photo
Light fixture after
Break Out the Spray Cans

I used a can of Rustoleum Matte Black spray paint I had in the basement on the light fixture for a quick, easy and free light refresh!

Cover Everything!

For the countertop I purchased a $4.00 can of Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy spray paint from Walmart. I heard it produced lots of overspray so I took the time to cover everything in the bathroom and I’m so glad I did. Cover everything, including yourself and be sure to wear a respirator because the smell of the spray paint is absolutely awful. Very strong! I also removed the faucets to replace them. Otherwise you can tape yours off if you plan to reuse them. Spray the entire countertop once and then spray a second coat immediately after the first. Let the countertops cure for a 24 hours, full cure is seven days.

Holy Cow!

The countertops looked amazing! I couldn’t believe my eyes. I just love the power of paint! Moving on to the oak vanity base!

Painting the Cabinet

Next I moved on to the cabinets. Gave them a very light sanding, two coats of primer and two coats of Sherwin Williams paint in the color Peppercorn leftover from another project. I also added some hardware I bought on Amazon and some new Pfister faucets that were gifted to me but are available at Home Depot. The style is Ladera. The finishing touch was a wooden mirror frame gifted to me by Mirrormates.

The Beautiful After

How this for an after shot? What a huge change and it all began with a couple cans of spray paint!

16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017

• Jamie
    Jamie

How has it been wearing?

• Laurie Jo McGaugh
    Laurie Jo McGaugh

I was looking for a way I could redo my kitchen Formica countertops. Think what you used would work?

• Melissa
      Melissa

Yes! I don’t see why not! I’ve see others use it and I have a half bath I plan on using these in there too!

• Gina Bannerman
    Gina Bannerman

Is there a pic of what the lights looked like? And did you paint your tub also?

• Elle
    Elle

What about afterwards...Did shutting the door to the bathroom adequately contain the fumes? My house is small, and the master bath is *very close* to my bed. Thoughts?

• Alicia
    Alicia

How is this holding up? I guess I'm more referring to the sink and counter top. I'm soooooooo tempted to do this. My bathroom needs redone. My vanity looks almost exactly like yours, but with only one sink.

• Shelli
    Shelli

What did you do to frame the mirror? Is that actual hardwood framing? I need to frame the mirror in our bathroom, but I don't want a huge expense. Thanks!

• Shelli
      Shelli

Oh, I see, it was a mirror frame gifted to you. I will checkout Mirrormates online...

• Melissa
      Melissa

Yes it was. You can also make a frame out of 1x4 pine boards. I have done that before and it came out great! I used command strips to hang it on the mirror.

• Erica Simpson
    Erica Simpson

Can you come do mine!? This is stunning!

• Sheryl Howell Crosby
    Sheryl Howell Crosby

Was a spray paint used for the cabinets or did you use a brush to paint it. The cabinets look great!! Mine were your original color and I hate it. Need to repaint to match my counters better. A beige/gray color.

• Melissa
      Melissa

I painted the counter with Appliance Epoxy Spray paint and used regular paint and brush/roller on the cabinets.

• Rachel Brown
    Rachel Brown

Beautiful!! I have ugly blue marble countertops in the main bathroom and marble green in the master from the 90's. I hated it when we bought the house twenty years ago.... I wonder if this paint will adhere to those surfaces?

• Shelley
    Shelley

How is it all holding up ? I'm inspired by this, and also a little afraid.

• Melissa
      Melissa

A few months in and not a single issue! Even inside the sinks has held up great!

• Melissa
      Melissa

You can follow me on Instagram under Gray Rose Home. I share updates all the time!

• Donna
    Donna

Hello, what you have done, looks totally amazing! 😘 I am wondering two thinks. Have you, thought about re-grouting your bathroom tile? As this will make the floor look brand new again.

Also, if it were my bathroom, I would paint, the outside of the yellow tub, if not the entire tub (painting the inside looks like a tedious and difficult task).

Please, do not feel I am picking! I wish I were still able to do all the things to my home, which you are doing to yours. I envy you Love!

• Melissa
      Melissa

Thanks so much! I ended up painting the front of the tub and the entire floor also! All quick and inexpensive fixes to hold us over until we can replace everything.

• Kim
    Kim

Great job! What did you use to protect the walls when spray painting?

• Melissa
    Melissa

Hi thank you! A mix of tape/plastic and press and seal (for the kitchen).