DIY Upcycled T-Shirt Rug – Plush Zebra Bath Mat

$10
2 Weeks

Do you have some old T-shirts lying around? Did you know that you can make a soft and plushy rug with a custom design with old T-shirts? If you like keeping your hands busy but you don’t know how to knit this might just be the project for you. It is very simple but it does take some time. It is a great craft therapy project in my opinion.

All you need are some t-shirts, a non slip mat, some sharpies and a good pair of scissors.

I got this non slip mat at the dollar tree. It is the perfect size for a welcome mat or bath mat.

The t-shirts are cut into t-shirt yarn and then into 3" inch lengths to tie onto the non slip mat.

The pattern or design is drawn on the mat grid with a sharpie and the matching color of yarn is tied on the mat.

Once all the yarns are tied in place the last step is to trim down the yarns to a consistent height.

You can find more details for this project in the attached video.

Thanks for taking a look at my project. If you would like more upcycling project DIY's or Green Product Reviews please visit my blog or Youtube channel to subscribe.

Happy Upcycling,

Cindy

Cindy @ Upcycle Design Lab

• Karen Howell

Thank you so much for sharing this

• Stacey

How do you make t-shirt yarn?

• Cindy @ Upcycle Design Lab

Hi Stacey,

I have detailed the fastest way to cut t-shirt yarn in the attached video it is much easier to show than tell. Thanks for your question.

• Tracy Littles

Have you washed your rug yet? How does it hold up? I think it's a good idea to glue on the back to secure each one of the ties. As you were trimming I was very skeptical to take the time out to do so. But in the end I see yours turned out very nice very very nice with the trimming, great job.

• Hi Tracy,

Thanks for your question. I have not washed it yet. But I think it will wash just fine. I am not sure about the dryer. But think it will be ok on a very low heat setting.