Easy Chair Makeover

$25

I bought a cute little chair off Marketplace, but the cushion & fabric was old & dirty and not the colour or style that I liked, so I gave it a makeover that was so simple & easy it took me less than 15 minutes!

BEFORE - old, worn & dirty.

The first thing I did was unscrew the seat from the chair. I then unpicked the staples that was holding the existing fabric and foam onto the base. I just used a flathead screwdriver & pliers for that, I’m sure there’s probably easier ways but it didn’t take me long.

Removing the foam & fabric from seat base

Next, I threw out the old foam and fabric, it was gross!

I then wiped down the wooden seat base and put some tape over the edges. - This is an optional step, I just did it as the wood was a little rough and I wanted to prevent it from rubbing against and possible damaging the new cover.

Taping up the edges

Next I searched for a round cushion I liked, roughly the same size as the seat base, but not smaller! I already had a few in my daughters room on her bed so I used one of them.

Note: I also found plenty online and in multiple stores that were all roughly the same size, so there are plenty of options for other colours & styles.

The cushion I chose for the chair.

Next, I cut a circular opening in the back of the cushion, but left the cutout attached as it was holding the decorative button in the middle in place.

Cutting an opening in the cushion

I then slid the wooden seat base into the cushion (making sure the screw was in it pointing out), and wrapped the sides back over the base.

Inserting the seat base.

I then put some weights onto the middle of the base just to push it down and keep it all tight while I used a staple gun to attached it to the base. You could use your hand to push it down too, I just found this easier.

I didn’t get a photo of the staples 🤦🏼‍♀️ so I’ve roughly marked in red on the below pic where I put them.

Red lines are where I put my staples

Once the cushion was stapled on, I screwed it back onto the chair and it was done! Easy!

Please check out my Instagram @_prettyliving for more of my DIY projects 🥰

FINISHED

To see more: //www.instagram.com/_prettyliving