Fun Flowers From Repurposed Plastic Balls

$3

There's something about happy vibrant colors that I find so inspiring, and these diy plastic flowers were so much fun to create.

I found a couple of bags of these plastic balls for a dollar each, and I think they're bouncy castle balls.

I'm usually easily enticed by colors like these.

The first thing I did to create my diy plastic flowers was cut a small slit in the seam of the plastic ball.

I used an exacto knife because it seemed the easiest way to do this, but don't cut the whole thing with the knife.

You can easily insert scissors and cut along the seam of the ball.

This is safer and more accurate than using the xacto knife to cut the whole thing.

The edges don't have to be perfect because these are going to be cut up to make flower petals.

I put a piece of painter's tape on my scissors so all my cuts into the plastic ball half would be a similar depth, about one inch.

These plastic balls were quite easy to cut into with ordinary every day scissors.

When done cutting my ball half looks like this.

I pressed the bottom of the ball up in the center and it opened up the flower, making the petals easier to cut.

Here's the complete flower after cutting the petal shapes.You can keep it like this.

Or, by pressing the center down it can look like this. 

TIP: By trial and error I discovered that if you cut down too deep into the ball half when cutting in the petals you can't manipulate the middle to create the two flower shapes. 

By making a lot of small narrow cuts you can have a fringed flower like this.

Or like this.

With just little dabs of hot glue I put my flowers together. I mixed up the colors and flower shapes for interest, and added decorative buttons for the centers.

The finished flowers kind of remind of funky water lilies. They are super fun and colorful.

Once your flowers are done you can do with them what you want.

I decided to glue some jute twine to the backs of my plastic flowers so I can use them on a wreath without making them permanent.

Then I simply tied the flowers around a jute wreath that I made by covering a styrofoam wreath form with jute rope.

Using the jute twine makes the ties disappear, and makes the flowers easily removable .So I can use both them and the wreath again.

If you enjoyed this projects you can find more repurposed flower projects here.

Color Me Thrifty

• Robyn Garner

Cute, cheap, fast, easy = perfect project! 😎

• Val

I'm very intrigued by this project. In my mind I see using pinking shears when cutting the balls in half. Then cut the slices and use for hair. There is also a body in there just waiting to come out wearing flower clothes. You have truly inspired me. Thank you.