Watercolour & Salt Wall Decor

$2

A unique wall decor based on watercolour, water and salt

The finished product
Materials

This is all the materials I have used.

First, I have masked the edges of the watercolour paper using masking tape. I am using a cheep kind of watercolour paper as they tend to absorb more water than the expensive one.

I usually place the paper on a piece of wood that I previously cut to create the same margin on the edges all around, without using a ruler or a calculator.

Then, I started adding a lot of water to the paper. Even when I thought it was enough, I added more!

Then, I got creative. I added orange-red colours from my watercolour palette, creating a diagonal gradient.

As I was adding colour, I added it with a lot of water...

As soon as I was pleased with the gradient, I immediately added salt to the paper. This stage has to be done before the water dries out.

Salting it up.

Close up

As the salt observes the water, the paper dries out from underneath. It creates flower-like shapes.

I had to wait for 2 hours for the page to dry completely.

Once it was dry, I lifted it up and brushed all the salt that was left on the surface. Some chunked of salt were merged into the paper, creating an amazing and unique glitter look.

When I was sure that the paper was dry, I removed the masking tape from the edges. It creates a sharp yet handmade edge.

Without the masking tape

Then, I searched the web for poppies and I came across this hand-drawn vintage style flowers. I copied it to the paper using a fine line pigment ink pen.

Then, I used my Pigma MB brush pen to trace the lines and create the vintage finish. I used just the tip to create thin lines and with pressure I added the shadows to the bottom of each flower. When I was pleased with the result of the brush pen, I added thin lines to create the texture of the flower using a black pen.

Then, it was ready to be hanged on the wall.

12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers

• Melissa Swan
    Melissa Swan

I am an artist and the salt trick is done on underwater scenes to create "bubbles ". I love your application also. Very pretty!

• Lisa Sinclair
    Lisa Sinclair

WOW!!!! This is so cool!!! This has inspired me. Think I'll make my daughter a gift for her birthday! YAY!!!! Thank you !!!

• Or Misgav
      Or Misgav

thank you for your kind words.

I'm looking forward to see your gift!