How to Make Speckled Easter Eggs

$10

The farmhouse trend has really popularized speckled eggs. By nature, speckled eggs come in muted colors which makes them a lot more versatile to add to your decor. Personally, I’m old school and I love pastels for my Easter decor so I decided to make my own speckled eggs. I loved how they turned out so I made Easter Egg Candle Holders out of some of them.

Supplies You'll Need:

• Plastic Easter eggs
  • Primer made for plastic
  • Matte acrylic paint/Sponge brushes
  • Dark brown acrylic paint
  • Toothbrush
  • skewers
  • box or foam to poke skewers in

Priming

The first thing I did was prime the plastic Easter eggs. I bought a spray primer that is specific to painting plastic. This will help the acrylic paint adhere better. You don’t want the paint to chip off. I took the eggs apart, laid them on a cardboard and sprayed them in a well vented area.

Painting

Since my eggs had holes in them, I found using skewers helped me steady the egg tops better when painting them. The bottoms of the eggs had a little edge on them I could hold. I ended up filling in those holes with paint during the second coat so you can’t tell they are there. I would suggest gloves, as it became messier than I thought!

I used matte acrylic paint to paint my Easter eggs. You could also use chalk paint but the matte acrylic is more economical and comes in a lot more colors.

Once I put the top and bottom together, I painted one more time around the seam and touched up any of the holes.

Speckling the Eggs

Before starting this last step of speckling the eggs, I made sure my table was protected from the paint.

I mixed brown acrylic paint with a few drops of water, making it thinner and easier to use. I took an old toothbrush and dipped it into the mixture and scraped my thumb down the brush to create a splatter onto the eggs. I sprayed them from every direction until I was satisfied with the look.

So there you have it, three simple steps to speckled eggs–prime, paint and speckle. Easy peasy, right? Now it’s time to add them to your favorite Easter decor! If you like spring decor, check out My spring mantel decor.

Pamela - DIY vibes

• Cindy

Spring spectacular!!My daughter & I will be busy 2moro making these.TY 4 sharing!!👍❤

• Reney Yeater

I just saw a wreath at the store done with pastel speckled eggs on a moss covered form. I knew I could do it myself, now I know how! Thank you.