Filling A Large Planter With The Right Plants

$30

If you're ready for spring and ready to spruce up your planters with the right flowers, I'd love to help you out. Gardening is fun and the results are so rewarding. This project doesn't take a green thumb, so lets dive in.

Make sure before you begin that there are holes in your pot.

Notice that I am using a bucket instead of a traditional pot from the garden center. Because my planter is pretty deep, I thought this time I would try a deep bucket.

I had to drill some holes into the bottom so the water will drain out.

Plants love water, but they don't want to drown! If you know what I mean.

Once you have selected your large garden planter, it is time to work your way from the bottom up.

To begin, I like to place small rocks in the bottom. Rocks allow the roots to not sit in water when I give it a watering each day or so.

You do not have to add rock, but I find it to be agreeable with the plants.

Now it is time to add some soil.

I like to use a good moisture control potting mix. With the hot sun beating down on my front porch, these plants need some extra help with moisture.

Next add some organic plant food to the top.

Starting with one filler plant, scoop a little soil inside your large garden container to set that first plant.

Now take your filler plant in your hand and give the small pot a good squeeze, working around the pot squeezing it. Then grab the base of the plant and wiggle it out.

Once you have the plant out of the small pot, squeeze the roots and maybe even dig your fingers into them a little to loosen them up.

Loosening the roots will help them to establish in their new environment.

Last, sit your plant down into the soil and press down around it to secure it into place.

Now for the tall plant.

Follow the same process as before and remove it from the pot. Place it in the very center of the pot and give it a good pressing down so it will not move on you.

The filler plant helps it stay anchored, which is why I like to start with one filler plant first.

Next, follow the same directions as before and remove the remaining filler plants.

Place them out from each other around the edge leaving room for your trailing plants between them in your large garden container.

Finally, remove the trailing plants from their small pots and fill in all the areas around the edge.

Don't forget to add a hand full of the organic plant food into the holes before you install the new plant.

Now add more soil around the top and give it a good pressing down as you go.

This gives the plants security and makes sure they have plenty of soil around them.

You are almost finished so give the plants another proper watering.

Last you only need to drop your bucket filed with plants into your chosen planter.

The best part about creating a container flower garden for your large container planters is enjoying all the beautiful flowers for days to come.

If you'd like more front porch decor ideas for this spring check out this blog post.

Or if you're looking to paint your front door this spring for a pop of curb appeal, this post on painting your front door without removing it will be super helpful to you.

Linda

• LaQuita Clayton

What are the names of the flowers how many plants did you use

• Trish F

Pink flowers are petunias, white ones are allysium (both come in different colors). I don't remember the name of the tall one but just look for a plant that will grow up as opposed to downward.

• Cindy

How many plants did you use and what are the types of plants in your planter

1 comment