Asked on Mar 13, 2020

How can I cover a brown dye stain that is on a cream colored sofa?

Holly Lengner - Lost MomKmdreamerMorgan McBride
+14

Accidently got brown hairdye on cream colored leather sofa......some discolored small areas remain, on small spot I rubbed so hard the leather came off.How can I fix this issue?

• Here are some remedies I've read about, but have never tried:

Warm water and soap - scrub with a cloth.

Put a dab of toothpaste on the stain and scrub with a soft brush.

Dab acetone-free nailpolish remover on the stain with a cotton ball or cotton swab and rub to remove the stain.

For the area that you rubbed too hard, you may just have to cover it with a throw and/or pillow.

• Kelli L. Milligan

All you can do is try to patch or paint it the original color. May need to buy a throw.

• Gk

I have used white foam shaving cream to clean leather furniture. Barbasol is one brand. You rub it around then wipe of with a damp cloth, rinsing the cloth as you go. Wipe dry with a clean white towel-preferably the old style cotton dish towels. It seems like it works for greasy hair stains and greasy jean stains from work clothes. You may try finding a automotive leather repair kit that might match for fixing the spot you rubbed off.

• Kmdreamer

If you go on eBay they sell a leather repair kit it works very well if not get a marker the same color as the couch and cover it with mRker

• Unique Creations By Anita

A leather repair kit would be a good option.

• Cynthia H

Someone recently told me about this product.

Amodex Ink and Stain Remover - Cleans Marker, Ink, Crayon, Pen, Makeup from Furniture, Skin, Clothing, Fabric, Leather - Liquid Solution - 4 fl oz Bottle - (Pack of 4) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B006TZFBPO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_GvgBEb57DTBTN

• Michelle Leslie

Hi Beverly, most auto shops carry leather repair kits in various colors. You can see if they have your color and follow the directions on the packaging

• Redcatcec

You might try contacting the manufacturer of the sofa, an alternative is to contact the store where you bought the sofa, they might be able to guide you and offer a reference.

Michelle offered a good idea about an auto shop that does leather.

• Johnavallance82

Hello Beverly,

First, Do you have House Contents Insurance as you could have a claim for accidental damage! If not and you haven't found an answer you can deal with, why not do the ultimate hide!! Make it stand out as a feature?? Yes, cover with a Sticky back plastic (Flower/Spot or bubble and add to it to make a feature of it rather than a mistake. eg: Cover the hole with a spot of yellow and then coloured petals to make a flower, make a few more (Smaller) as if blown in the wind. or maybe Butterflies) Could look amazing...........Best wishes.

• Nan W.

Beverly: a great throw would look like an "intentional decorating " strategy!!

• Vimarhonor

Hello. I had some ink stains on my yellow classic thick leather coach handbag and I used acrylic craft paint to disguise the mark that I was unable to completely remove.

This might be a consideration in your case. I also use the acrylic paints to touch up worn areas on the leather handbag straps and edge areas completely revitalizing the colored leather leather appearance.

It worked wonderfully and those situation as well you just have to try to custom match your color exactly and not choose a paint product with an excessively glossy sheen factor. Avoid gloss looking at matte or satin options.

• Morgan McBride

I'd just put a pillow over it :D

• Kmdreamer

I would take some semigloss paint and touch up the site try a small spot first match the color good and you won't see it at all

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

Get a cream colored leather paint to paint over the stains.