Jazz up Your $5 Goodwill Lamp

$15

I purchased this lamp at my local goodwill and wanted to test out if I can have the same results as I have seen on Instagram

The idea is to spray paint the base black put wet dirt on it, let it dry, then wipe off. The lamp should then look like an expensive rustic lamp base you can find in stores for over $200. So here we go.

The lamp before

I covered the cord and the top part of the lamp, so it doesn't get painted and went ahead and painted. I used black spray paint in matte.

Let it fully dry

I did 2 coates and let it fully dry.

I used wet dirt
Rub it on
This is the look I was going for
Let the dirt fully dry on the base

This took a couple of hours but you have to let the dirt fully dry on the lamp.

Once it's done you can wipe it off with a wet cloth.

Final results are in

I went ahead and got a white lamp shade from target to complement the rustic look and voila. I think this trick would work best with a base that's not already glazed. You could even try this with a pot. This was a fun project and something different to do.

30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants

• Susanna Davis
    Susanna Davis

I think it's amazing and gives me a ton of ideas!!!

• Pat
    Pat

This looks really nice, but how do you clean it? Won’t the dirt fall off onto your table?

• June
    June

I have 2 questions :) Did you find in time that the dried dirt would come off when dusting ? Did you seal it with anything so as no dirt would come off later even though you wiped it off ?

• Kelly J. Tinney
    Kelly J. Tinney

Chalk paint companies like Dixie Belle sell “dirt.” It’s grit that can be applied & added to paint to give pieces that thick, crusty, chippy, dirty look. That’s an idea as well if somebody doesn’t feel comfortable applying actual dirt to an accessory.

• Jody Harris
    Jody Harris

Love what you did! I think I might try this!