Asked on Mar 14, 2020

How can I clean and repair this shed?

KmdreamerSimple Nature DecorBetsy
+13

Hello! I want to turn this shed into a she shed. Nothing too fancy- I still need it for storage during the winter months. But I know there’s stuff to be done before I get to paint and decorate. What is the best way to go about this? I know the roof has to be fixed in the back corner. It is mold or water damage on the ceiling? How can I fix these things and then give it a deep down dirty clean?

Bonus question- everything in the shed was left by the previous owner of our house. Is any of it worth keeping and reusing?

thank you!!

• Nan W.

Sarah: If you can't use the things... donate them. Someone will need them. Also... these links may help you:

https://www.countryliving.com/gardening/garden-ideas/a35458/how-to-make-your-own-she-shed/

https://www.lowes.com/n/how-to/she-shed

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com

once you’ve repaired the roof clean that mould spot really well. Or you might find those boards need to be replaced. Then rent or buy a paint sprayer. First prime the whole thing with a mould killing primer. And then paint the color you want. As for the flooring - check the remnant department of local flooring stores for vinyl. Luxury vinyl plank would be fabulous. https://www.frugalfamilytimes.com/2019/12/diy-tips-to-install-luxury-vinyl-plank-installation.html?m=1

• Robyn Garner

I would go through the structure and poke any place that's dark with a screwdriver to see if there is rot. If so, it needs to be cut out and replaced. Also look into if you can raise the shed off the ground to keep the inside from being so moist it grows mold.

• Em

Use outdoor wood paint and give it a fresh coat.You will be surprised how much cleaner it will look. It will add a lot of brightness to the entire shed. Replace shelving with cabinet grade plywood or reclaimed pallet wood the is stronger. Use an old dresser for a potting bench. Put tools in drawers. I added two crib side rails that I tacked onto the walls and hung small tools up with S hooks. Add a small peg board for gloves in zip lock bags (keeps spiders out!) and florist wire and small pruners seed packets etc. I spray painted two curbside metal shelves light lime green to stack unused planters on. I just redid mine in the fall and it makes it feel so much better to walk in and see the bright cheery look.

• Gk

What a fun little shed to play with! To start with I would raise the shed up off the ground. You could set it on cement sidewalk blocks-adding as many blocks vertically as you need to rise it up off the ground. The roof looks like it may need to be replaced. I see a few open spots along the roof/eave line--you should add a soffit so the bees don't get it--do I see old bee nests?! Consider using a metal roof over any new plywood and maybe a bit of a gutter system to drain water away from the building. You could insulate the inside and use metal panels, sheetrock, or just plywood to cover the walls. A simple paint job on plywood would look fine! If the floor is still in good shape you could add another layer of plywood, paint it, stencil it, and then give it a few coats of marine spar varnish. Are you adding any electricity? You could do a lot or a little to this shed. It depends on how much money you want to spend. If you can't use anything in the shed left behind--give it away! There looks to be some things other people could use!

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

There are some great she shed ideas here - for after the cleaning of course!

https://www.hometalk.com/search/all?filter=she%20shed

• Cheryl A

here is a she shed video good luck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZe3B4gs0dA

• Redcatcec

A metal roof to replace the one that is on it now would be wonderful, they have always been attractive to me. I agree with Gk it needs to be raised to keep the ground dampness in the ground and not in your shed, maybe a ramp to have mowing machines off season.

You might look to plastic shelving rather than wood.

• Janice

Once you get the construction portin of your proect completed (roof and shed raised) you can use peboard to adhere to the studs for great storage of items you use all the time. The items left, decide if they are of use to you; if not, donate them to an organization such as Salvation Army, etc. You can have a very attractive and useful she-shed in short order, mostly apply the same decorating steps as in a craft room within your home. decide what you'll be doing in the shed and alot certain aras to those projects. Have fun with it! We'd all love to have a she-shed!

The roof sheathing would need to be replaced along with new shingles. If the shed is not on blocks raise it and put it on blocks. Insulate the walls and cover with plywood. This will allow you to hang anything anywhere. Paint the walls.

• Ken Erickson

I would remove the roof shingles and replace the moldy sheets. Then properly add new roofing. Trees near the shed should be thinned out since they contribute to moss and roof damage. The items in the shed seen to be worth keeping.

• Lifestyles Homes

Yes, no new roof until the sheathing is replaced and the rafters repaired for wood rot.

It is likely a “Pandora’s box” when you tear into it and you’ll definitely want to wear face masks & eye protection when releasing the mold spores into the air (during demo).

• Cynthia H

Repair or replace the roof. Add a window or two for natural light. Paint the walls. Put in hangers for tools to get them off the wall. Build or buy a worktable to create on.

Hi Sarah: I agree with the others, the roof needs to be removed and replaced. As for the interior, I would use a waterproofing on the wood, like Thompsons WaterSeal. Put on a thin coat. Let it dry and then you can get those rigid foam sheets that fit between studs and put them on. You can either use the studs to put up shelves, with brackets on each stud for strength, or peg board. Be sure it's the thicker type peg board, or it will fail. You can put plywood over the entire thing, but again, use at least 1/4 inch thick for stability if you hang anything on it. I'm not sure what shape the floor is in, but if it's good, you can use the stick and peel tiles on it. You will need some sort of air passing under the shed so that the floor doesn't rot. I'm not sure about lifting it, but if you can, get some friends and maybe you can lift it up and move it to another area that you have leveled and have the ability to put it on bricks. Don't be stunned at what you see living under it :)

• Simple Nature Decor

here are some ideas. Keep the shelves and clean it well and add some outdoor furniture as places to sit. https://www.countryliving.com/gardening/garden-ideas/a35458/how-to-make-your-own-she-shed/

• Kmdreamer

I don't know how far you want to go but take shelf down insulate walls put up sheetrock paint and tape if you don't want that just paint the walls as is a great color do the shelf in another color