Bathroom Refresh- Shower, Storage & Trash Bin

$576
2 Weeks

Initially we were just going to change our dated bathroom up a little bit with a new vanity. But as we went along we realized it ALL needed a refresh! So in the post I'll show how we took out the bathtub and ended up with a more useful shower and gained storage space for towels, toilet paper and a trash bin!

We're shower people - why do we have a bathtub?!

The bathtub took up almost all the space on this wall with the 60" tub space. There was an additional 7 inches off on one side but it was an enclosed inaccessible wall space. And no closet storage at all in this bathroom.

GUT IT!

Go ahead and take the plunge- take the old tub out and open up that space to something more useful!

CREATE A SPACE THAT WORKS FOR YOU

Insulate, frame, drywall, caulk as needed.

We dropped in a new shower measuring 48" on the right which left us 19" on the left to create a shelving unit.

TRIM & PAINT

Since the new shelving space is right beside the toilet we decided it would be nice to use a lower shelf for TP storage- no more running out and not being able to reach it- my shelf can hold 30 rolls!

We used toilet paper rolls and towels to decide our shelving height for the top 3 shelves which still left us space on the bottom for a trash bin.

INSTALL A TRASH BIN

Since this trash space was beside the toilet we wanted it to be obvious what it was. So I painted the words "trash" onto the hinged access door. It swings easily in both directions.

The trash can itself can be accessed via a tip out that is hinged at the bottom.

ENJOY!

It feels more spa like and this makeover is so much brighter and cheerier. Perfect for our Spring Refresh!

I'm so glad we did this- we gained an easy access shower plus storage space for towels and toilet paper and a trash bin!

This is an estimate of what it would cost you for the same size space if you went to the store today and didn't search for the best prices. We paid much less because I look for sales, rebates, scratch n dents, and whatever else I can do to get the rock bottom price. Don't forget Habitat for Humanity because they often have new or near new with a great price.

48" shower stall kit about $389

Oil Rubbed Rain Shower System about $89

Shower vent fan w/bluetooth speaker about $81

Lumber about $64

Drywall about $13

Trim about $14

Bathroom adhesive/caulks about $38

Bathroom paint- about $20

Timewise I'd say if you have nothing to do but this it can be done in a few weeks. But if you have an outside job like most of us count on doing it over weekends for several months. In that case make sure you have access to another bathroom shower! In the end it will be well worth it doing it yourself because of the savings!

• Lokigirl💜

Well done!!! Love this. I'm curious, so many different brands of product, do you have teen (ten) girls? 🤣😂 sorry just struck me funny as I had that in our shower!!💜💜

The (ten) was my spell ck result 🤣😂🤣😂

• Chispe

I love the new look. I am curious about the shower drain. In the old picture with the tub it's on the end and the shower it looks moved to the middle. did you have to break up the concrete to do that?

• Anne

Great job!!!

You both used your space well.

• Kaisai

Susan, we don't have an issue with our shower curtain as long as it is below the lip on the shower floor. Hope that helps

• Beth

Great job! And looks so pretty & bright!