MaryAnn: maybe this will help
I put mine in a large trash bag with 2 cups of ammonia, close the bag securely, & let them set overnight outdoors, It is the fumes that do the work and not the liquid. Wearing gloves, remove them from the plastic bag and rinse well. Let dry. This also works well for grates on to of the stove, only use a 1 gallon size plastic freezer bag and 1 cup ammonia. Same time frame.
Hi Mary Ann,
Here are a couple tutorials on Hometalk:
Hello Mary Ann
Soak in hot water to soften the grease and then use a Brillo Soap Pad on them, Rinse and let drain dry...........
Put them in the tub and sprinkle them with baking soda. Pour vinegar over them and let them fizz. When it stops cover them with hot water and let them soak overnight.
Oven rack cleaning
I research this myself, most manufacturers firmly state not leave racks in self cleaning oven During the cleaning cycle.
They need to be cleaned independently. It seems to be the best solution is to soak overnight in ammonia and these links below describe the process. Im consider using plastic bin that is sized for my racks rather than a plastic bag.
Other options do suggest using oven cleaner in a trash bag here as well as another solution.
Here are some helpful links that I hope will help —you choose the best solution for your need.
I clean mine in the sink with a sponce.
If they fit in your dishwasher, that's one method. Here's another I use:
Begin by removing any large chunks of food. Then put your racks in your bath tub. Sprinkle them with baking soda and spritz them with white vinegar. Let set overnight. Then rinse with warm water and let air dry.
Hi Mary: I make a paste of Cream of Tartar (the dry stuff) and white vinegar. Make it thick like peanut butter, put it on the racks in the sink or laundry tub, and let it sit on there for about 30 seconds. Then, use a plastic scrubby and scrub any gunk off. You may have to do it twice, but usually not. You can use the stuff that has fallen off again, just add a drop or two more of vinegar. This is easy, non-toxic and environmentally safe. Good luck