DIY Metal Table Legs

2 materials
$100
Advanced

We built a beautiful live edge maple farmhouse tabletop for our eating area and fabricated metal legs to give the table a unique, contemporary meets farmhouse design. The leg assemblies were made using 2x4 metal tubing with 1/8th inch wall. I used my TIG welder to tack each table leg assembly together and then used my MIG welder to fill any gaps while adding durability and strength. The contrast of the sleek black metal and modern angles with the warm wood of the tabletop creates a timeless design using materials that guarantee the longevity of the table for generations to come.

You Will Need:

• 2x4 Metal tubing
  • TIG welder
  • MIG welder
  • Band saw
  • Angle grinder
  • Sanding disc
  • Wire wheel
  • Jig
  • Spray Paint
  • Bolts, flat washers, and lock washers
  • Self-adhesive felt furniture pads
diy metal table legs
Create Model for Leg Assembly
Step 1: Create Model for Leg Assembly

I designed the model for the table leg assembly and printed the sketch for reference throughout the project. My design included a center rectangle and bars radiating out at an angle from both the top and bottom of the rectangle, capped off by an angled bar.

diy metal table legs
Gather and Prepare Materials for Leg Assembly
Step 2: Gather and Prepare Materials for Leg Assembly

I broke down the 2x4 metal tubing using my portable band saw in the garage for the mitered cuts needed. I cut all of the pieces needed to create and weld my design.

diy metal table legs
TIG Weld Inner Rectangle
Step 3: TIG Weld Inner Rectangle

I started with the center rectangle and used a TIG torch to weld the center rectangle of the leg assembly. Ensure that the rectangle is very square to build the rest of the assemblies off of. 

diy metal table legs
Measure Outer Pieces of Assemblies
Step 4: Measure Outer Pieces of Assemblies

Once the inner rectangles of both leg assemblies were completed, I used a speed square and a flat surface to make sure the parts that I was assembling on either side of the center rectangle were the same length. Any deviation will have a big effect on the rest of the leg assembly later on.

diy metal table legs
Layout 45 Degrees on Either Side of Assemblies
Step 5: Layout 45 Degrees on Either Side of Assemblies

After setting up a square jig on the assembly table I used my speed square to layout the 45 degrees of either side of the leg assembly and then tacked it together with the TIG welder. 

diy metal table legs
Attach the Upper and Lower Portions of Leg Assemblies to Rectangle
Step 6: Attach the Upper and Lower Portions of Leg Assemblies to Rectangle

I arranged the upper and lower portions with my jig on a flat reference surface ensuring that all was square and then placed the rectangles in the center. I tacked them in place with the TIG welder and placed at least two tacks on every joint on one side and then flipped the assembly over and repeated the process on the reverse side.

diy metal table legs
MIG Weld
Step 7: MIG Weld

Once the assembly was all tacked together, I used the MIG welder to correct any slight deviations and large gaps that needed to be filled in a more efficient amount of time.

diy metal table legs
Sand
Step 8: Sand

After I laid down the beads with the MIG welder, I placed it on a flat surface and used a sanding disk to sand it down a bit and then went back over the MIG welds with the TIG welder to make a weave pattern.

diy metal table legs
Buff Welds
Step 9: Buff Welds

I used a wire wheel to buff and shine the welds and to clean off any rust that had developed on the steel while it was awaiting assembly.

diy metal table legs
Finish Metal Leg Assemblies
Step 10: Finish Metal Leg Assemblies

I started with a coat of self-etching primer and then finished it with several coats of semi-gloss black enamel spray paint. Once the paint cured, I brought the assembly back into the shop.

diy metal table legs
Finish Metal Leg Assemblies

diy metal table legs
Pre-Drill Holes for Leg Assembly
Step 11: Pre-Drill Holes for Leg Assembly

I pre-drilled the holes to attach the tabletop to the leg assembly. I drilled the oversized holes and placed the bolts in the middle of the holes so that the table can expand and contract over time with no issues.

diy metal table legs
Attach Furniture Cushions
Step 12: Attach Furniture Cushions

To protect the floors and keep the metal tubing from sliding, I created maple pads that I bolted to the leg assembly and attached self-adhesive felt pads cut to size to them.

diy metal table legs
Attach Leg Assemblies to Tabletop
Step 13: Attach Leg Assemblies to Tabletop

I staged lock washers and flat washers with the bolts to go through the leg assembly and then through the mounting pad. I staged the leg assemblies in place on the overturned tabletop and marked through the holes where I would pre-drill and install the leg assemblies. I marked the drill bit with painters tape to prevent drilling through the tabletop. Place a blanket on the floor and set the overturned table top on it to install the leg assemblies on both sides. After pre-drilling the holes, bolt the leg assemblies to the tabletop.

diy metal table legs
Flip Table Upright
Step 14: Flip Table Upright

With help, I slowly raised the overturned table onto its side and then lifted it to an upright position in the eating area. Remove the blanket and slide the table into place.

diy metal table legs
DIY Metal Table Legs

We are so happy with the look, sturdiness, and longevity of our DIY metal leg design. There is absolutely no wobble in the table because of the strong metal base and we know that the table legs will outlive the tabletop! This welding process was a great learning experience and I enjoyed using the technique to create such a stylish, strong, and unique design for our dining table. We could not be happier with the look of the metal legs with our wooden tabletop so don’t hesitate to mix materials and styles to create a one of a kind furniture design for your own home.

Have you mixed wood and metal to create custom furniture for your home or have you always wanted to incorporate both industrial and farmhouse style in your home decor? Share your DIY building projects photos and tips or find inspiration for more modern meets rustic furniture ideas like this one at Hometalk!

Questions on this post

Your question...
  1 question

Comments

2 of 13 comments
Next