How to Sew a Circular Potholder

$5

I saw some cute circular potholders while walking through the store the other day and wanted to figure out how to make some of them on my own. Here's how I made them:

Cut circles out of your fabrics. I used a kid sized plate that is exactly 8 inches to trace and then cut out my circles. You need 2 circles of your outside fabric, 2 circles of the batting, and 1 circle of the insulated batting. For my outside fabric I actually opted to use two different fabrics, one for each side of the potholder.

Pin or clip the layers together. Then sew lines or some sort of design to quilt them together. I opted to cheat a little and use the lines in the chevron design on the one side as a guide.

Unfold your bias tape. Pin or clip the raw edge of the bias tape to the edge of your circle. Pin it going all the way around, stopping just where you started- do not overlap.

Sew all the way around your circle, sewing in that fold that is closest to the edge. Remember to backstitch a little each time you start and stop.

Fold your bias tape over to the other side so that it covers the edge of your circle. Flip the whole thing over. Pin or clip the bias tape down. Cut the end of your bias tape off but leave about 6 inches from the circle. We will use this to make a loop you can hang the potholder from.

Sew all along the bottom edge of the bias tape to sew it down. Go all the way around the circle and then to the end of your length of bias tape.

Fold the end of your bias tape over twice and sew down. Then fold the bias tape in half to make a loop and sew down to attach it to the potholder.

MaryMarthaMama