Refinishing Your Patio Furniture

$65

With better weather just around the corner, now is the time to think about cleaning up your patio furniture. Our cast metal outdoor furniture had oxidized over time by over exposure to the summer sun. With little prep and expense, you can improve and revitalize your patio furniture.

Pieces needing refinishing

My patio furniture project consisted of repainting a chaise, chair, ottoman and small side table.

Before-the frames to the patio furniture had lost their color and looked mottled

After assessing the condition of each piece, the frames were wiped down with a damp cloth to remove any dust or debris.

The most important step in painting is prepping the work area. Lay down a substantial drop cloth, sheet or piece of plastic to protect the surrounding area from paint sprays or spills.

When using a can of spray paint for long periods of time, you know how tired your fingers become. This Rustoleum Custom Grip handles converts an aerosol can into a spray gun. This helps reduce hand fatigue and allows for a more controlled and professional finish. Definitely worth the investment of less than $25.00

After applying the Custom Grip to the aerosol can (very easy) I was ready to get started.

Following the directions on the can, I held the can several inches away from the furniture and evenly applied the spray paint. I used Rustoleum Anodized Bronze Brilliant Metallic Finish spray paint, which is available at any hardware store.

During the painting phase

Here you can see the deterioration of the surface done by oxidation. The new paint is very close to the original finish.

Allow each side to dry completely before turning the furniture over to another side. Make sure you get paint into all the curves and corners.

Do a close inspection as it is easy to overlook the parts you missed.

In order to protect the stone top on the small side table, I used blue painter's tape, being careful not to get overspray on the stone.

Allow all pieces to dry according to manufacturer's instructions on the spray paint can. I only needed to apply one coat of paint, however, depending on the condition of your furniture, you may need additional coats.

Here are a few AFTER pictures. The furniture looks new and fresh. Not only is this a visual improvement, but the metal frames are now protected from the harsh summer sun.

Painting four pieces of furniture, I used approximately 3.5 cans of spray paint. The actual time to do this project was a few hours, however, I let the furniture dry overnight so I would allow 2 days total to complete this project.

To see more of this terrace makeover, click on my blog post at Life at Bella Terra, https://lifeatbellaterra.com/2017/04/terrace-makeover/

Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
Everything Red For Canada Day
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
21 Stunning Wreaths for The 4th of July
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
3 Brilliant Ideas How to Use Photo Frames
Life at Bella Terra

• Dee

My furniture shows a little rust in some places. What needs to be done to them before the actual repainting takes place?

• Ron

You need to sand the furniture, wipe it down then use a rust free spray paint of your choice.

• Trish

Is this a possible remedy for powder-coated furniture, that is chipping large chunks? Underneath is some sort of metal. Help? Any ideas would be welcome!

• S

Has this been done long enough to know how to weathered the winter?

• Life at Bella Terra

Yes, it weathered it just fine. Since we live in Phoenix, our winters are more moderate. It is the summer sun that ruins everything. But it seems to be doing just fine! Still looks gorgeous.

• Paperdoll

Thanks for the info.

• A.J.

Thank you for the spray can grip idea. I can see that I will be using that frequently in many projects.