Aquarium Gravel Topped Nesting Tables

$50

I wanted to design a set of nesting tables with a different color top on each table. I welded a set of three tables and decorated the top of each one of them with an unexpected home decor product to create unique statement pieces for my home. Much to the surprise of everyone who sees them, I created the three colorful tables by using clear resin to cast colored aquarium gravel into the recessed table tops, making three distinct designs. Take a look at how to get creative and design your own custom nesting tables.

Aquarium Gravel Topped Nesting Tables

You Will Need:

• 25mm box and angle steel
  • Aquarium gravel
  • Clear polyester casting resin (3-4 liters)
  • Heat gun
  • Construction adhesive
  • Plywood
  • Chair leg rubber caps
  • Paint
Aquarium Gravel Topped Nesting Tables

Step 1: Cut Steel for Table Bases

Cut Steel for Table Bases

I measured and cut 1x1 hollow square steel tubing using an angle grinder. These pieces of tubing will be the legs of three small rectangular tables that differ in height by approximately three inches so that they can nest inside one another. You will need a total of 12 legs cut.

Step 2: Cut Steel for Table Tops

Steel for Table Tops

I measured and cut 1x1 L-shaped angle steel using an angle grinder. These pieces will form the rectangular tops of the three tables. You will need to cut a total of 12 lengths; six will be the same length for the short end of the rectangular tops and the others will be cut to three different lengths so that they can nest inside one another.

Cut Steel for Table Tops

Step 3: Cut Notch in Tops

ut Notch in Tops

After I cut the L-shaped angle steel to length, I cut a notch in the six pieces to be used for the short end of the rectangular tops so that they fit together and could be welded together.

Step 4: Assemble and Weld Tops

Assemble and Weld Tops

I used a wood form to ensure the table tops were square, then assembled the rectangular tops and welded them together.

Step 5: Weld Legs to the Table Tops

Weld Legs to the Table Tops

I used a two-piece wooden form to ensure that the legs were squarely welded to the table tops

Step 6: Smooth Welds

Smooth Welds

I used an angle grinder to smooth all of the welds and remove any protrusions or imperfections. 

Step 7: Clean and Paint the Tables

Clean and Paint the Tables

After smoothing the welds, I cleaned and painted the tables and then used a hammer to install plastic feet into the 1x1 hollow square steel tubing legs of each table.

Step 8: Add Plywood Top

Add Plywood Top

I measured and cut plywood tops to inset into each table and secured them into place using a silicone-based adhesive.

Step 9: Mix and Pour Resin onto Table Tops

Mix and Pour Resin onto Table Tops

I measured and mixed the casting resin and poured it over the first recessed table top. I spread the resin across the surface with a wooden stirrer. Do not apply the resin to the other two tables until after graveling the first.

Step 10: Add Aquarium Gravel to Table Tops

Aquarium Gravel

I poured three different colors of aquarium gravel into bowls and sprinkled one onto the first table top, covering the casting resin. I used a gloved hand to gently smooth and press the gravel over the surface. Use a level to push across the graveled surface to ensure an even layering. Repeat the application of resin followed by gravel on the next two tables.

Add Aquarium Gravel to Table Tops

Step 11: Pour and Spread Resin Over Gravel

Pour and Spread Resin Over Gravel

I poured another layer of casting resin over the top of the three gravel-covered table tops and gently spread across the entire surface. After pouring and spreading your resin, you may notice bubbles rising to the top of your surface. To create a flawless glasslike finish, use a heat gun to remove unpopped bubbles before the resin starts to thicken and cure. 

The finished tables have an almost mosaic glass look and finish and the bags of aquarium gravel were totally transformed by the shine of the clear resin. It was such a nice surprise to discover how even the boldest gravel color becomes subdued and stylish when inset and cast in resin. You can get creative and use any material or mixture of materials for your table top.

Aquarium Gravel Topped Nesting Tables

Have you used an unexpected item like aquarium gravel in your home decor or furniture design project? Share the wildest item you ever repurposed and find inspiration for more creative ideas on Hometalk!

3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving

• Ann

Do you put hardner in the resin?

• Hlpinghand

OMG! I have been looking in vain for over 3 years for square hollow leg feet. You're wonderful--because of you I found some. My question is where did you get yours? Just in case the source I found no longer carries them, I'd sure like another option. Again, thank you! This project is way, WAY above my capability as far as building goes but the gravel/resin technique is very good to know and IS something I could do!