Transform a Space With White Paint: The Days of White Walls Are Back

$60

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, you can change the whole vibe, look and feel of a room with a can of paint.

This family room was lacking that brightness I was wanting. I was seeing all these gorgeous spaces and wondered, "what about this space is just so refreshing for me?" Then I realized, their walls were all white. I knew I wanted to paint the limestone in my familyroom right away. Watch how by painting it white, the whole room was taken to another level.

NOTE: if you're not happy with an outdated backsplash, you can do this too.

This was our familyroom before

Gray Beige Limestone Wall Before

I have to start by saying, nothing was wrong with this room. It just didn't have the light and bright feeling I wanted.

Taping the ceiling, outer walls and around the mantle

Taping it all up

I used painter's tape to first cover the corners between the wall and the ceiling to make sure I didn't get paint in the ceiling. Even though the ceiling is white, all whites are different. I covered the hardwood floors with vinyl tablecloths I already had.

Grout lines first, even if you're doing a different tile area (like a kitchen backsplash)

Paint any grout lines first

I painted the grout lines first. No need for a primer, I wanted to keep the cost down by using only one can. I did 2 coats of paint on the grout and then painted the whole wall 2 times as well.

This whole room was just taken to a new level

Voila! That white, bright and wood look

So glad I did this. The fireplace is now the focal point. And this open concept familyroom is a showstopper.

Everything else seems to pop now. And you can get that extra texture and pop of colour by adding plants.

From this.....to....

22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
15 Perfectly Round Tables
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized

• Basha Jo

Wow, what an update! I am sold! Did you actually use one of the acrylic craft paints you listed, from Amazon, or did you use a regular interior wall paint? If it was an interior wall paint, what brand, type of paint (chalk, latex, etc), color (name of the white!), and finish (matte, satin, semi-gloss, etc) did you use?

• Lisa Fauerbach

I can’t believe what a difference the White makes!! Gorgeous!

• Gail

you painted the limestone????

• JD

I’ve always preferred white walls in my living areas. It brightens everything. You’re transformation looks awesome!!! Great job!

• Janice

I I've been a fan of white walls for years. I love the transformation you made and you'll be able to introduce whatever splashes of color or color schemes you want in the future. Great job!