Transform a Space With White Paint: The Days of White Walls Are Back

$60

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, you can change the whole vibe, look and feel of a room with a can of paint.

This family room was lacking that brightness I was wanting. I was seeing all these gorgeous spaces and wondered, "what about this space is just so refreshing for me?" Then I realized, their walls were all white. I knew I wanted to paint the limestone in my familyroom right away. Watch how by painting it white, the whole room was taken to another level.

NOTE: if you're not happy with an outdated backsplash, you can do this too.

This was our familyroom before

Gray Beige Limestone Wall Before

I have to start by saying, nothing was wrong with this room. It just didn't have the light and bright feeling I wanted.

Taping the ceiling, outer walls and around the mantle

Taping it all up

I used painter's tape to first cover the corners between the wall and the ceiling to make sure I didn't get paint in the ceiling. Even though the ceiling is white, all whites are different. I covered the hardwood floors with vinyl tablecloths I already had.

Grout lines first, even if you're doing a different tile area (like a kitchen backsplash)

Paint any grout lines first

I painted the grout lines first. No need for a primer, I wanted to keep the cost down by using only one can. I did 2 coats of paint on the grout and then painted the whole wall 2 times as well.

This whole room was just taken to a new level

Voila! That white, bright and wood look

So glad I did this. The fireplace is now the focal point. And this open concept familyroom is a showstopper.

Everything else seems to pop now. And you can get that extra texture and pop of colour by adding plants.

From this.....to....

• JD

I’ve always preferred white walls in my living areas. It brightens everything. You’re transformation looks awesome!!! Great job!

• Janice
    26 minutes ago

I I've been a fan of white walls for years. I love the transformation you made and you'll be able to introduce whatever splashes of color or color schemes you want in the future. Great job!