Asked on Mar 20, 2020

How do I fix this storm door hinge?

Agnes ChrzanowskaHelen CocuzzaBetsy
+12

The jamb bracket was always loose, so I had to keep using longer and longer screws to make it stronger. Over time the wood completely got eroded, left with a gaping hole and no place to insert a screw. How do fix this? I have a young handyman who is painting my house and I was going to have him fix this, but I don't think he knows how. If someone can explain clearly I'm sure he can do it.

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

If you take this picture to a hardware store (or even call them), they should be able to tell you how to fix it.

• Redcatcec

Have you considered moving the hinge down to the area just below the damage?

Hold or tape the hinge in place, mark with a pencil where the new holes need to be drilled on both sides of the hinge. Drill the holes and attach the hinge. You can repair the door jamb with wood putty and paint.

• There is a product that is a wood hardener made by Minwax. After it dries, you will be able to put screws in it to hold the hinge.

• Jeremy Hoffpauir

To fix this permanently, use this product which is made to specifically fix this problem: https://amzn.to/2UrRjRv

There are 2 other ways to fix this if you don't want to use the product in the link above.

1) Replace door jamb which I don't think you want to do.

2) Move hinge, which means you need to move it on the door as well.

Hope this Helps! Jeremy - https://pahjodesigns.com

• Dianacirce70

Does the door get blown open a lot, of just get a lot of rough use? It just really shouldn't have fallen apart like that, so I'd be concerned about a more serious issue like moisture rotting away the doorjamb. If taking apart the door isn't a feasible option I would try to fill it with a good filler, and see how long that lasts. But if it starts breaking down again after a short period of time, you might need to look at another solution.

• Zard Pocleeb

Remove the bad wood with a wood chisel. You can get a set for less than $20. Rebuild the damaged area with wood putty or a body filler such as Bondo. Paint the area and rehang the door.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Wood+chisel&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

• Vimarhonor

Hello. Many times we have had wood rot around door framing and we’ve always chipped away the rotten wood and either replaced it with a piece of custom cut pressure-treated wood or if the area was small did a cosemetic repair do with epoxy party. Epoxy putty can be sanded and even drilled it is very strong once placed.

• Ken Erickson

Many times screw holes can be repaired by dipping wooden toothpicks into glue and filling the holes. Then when dry, cut off flush with the jamb and insert new screws. Your problem may beyond that fix.

• Mike

I would use WoodEpox, which is a 2 part epoxy found at good paint/lumber stores, or online It's kind of expensive, but pretty easy to use.

First you dig out the compromised section, & scrape out the paint around the repair, because this epoxy does not stick to painted wood.

If the wood's dry get a disposable/chip brush to soak the exposed wood in Liquidwood, which is the other half of this system, & it's a liquid 2 part epoxy which will sink deep into the wood & make it much stronger than it started. It only comes in 2 separate quarts which will cost over $75.00, but worth every penny. I usually use clear plastic cups to pour into to get an equal measurement, mix one into the other & throw them away when I'm done.

I usually wait a day before filling the hole with the 2 part epoxy, which means putting on disposable gloves, rolling each part into equal balls & mushing them together for a minute or so, eventually it can be sanded/shaped so you don't notice it & after 5 days drill new holes into it & set your screws, you're good to go.

• Dee

You can either chisel out the old wood and replace with a patch or you can use Bondo, and fill the area then sand and replace the hinge.

• Cynthia H

I agree with all the previous suggestions. My personal choice would to take the door off, repair or replace the wood, paint it, and then rehang the door.

Hi Sathya: The easy fix is to pound some match sticks or tooth picks into the hole until you can't pound in any more. Then, you can screw the bracket in without a problem. For a little more stability, you can dip the sticks into glue before pounding them in. Let the glued sticks dry overnight and then go ahead and screw the bracket in. This always works for me :) Good luck

• Helen Cocuzza

unfortunately you need a wood worker or possibly new door, Ive had that happen & we had to get new one, sometimes if its cracked along side & a wood worker can cut out the bad piece & add a new piece/section. if the doors metal then you cant do the wood at all. Also try to ask your local home store for suggestions! Good Luck.

• Agnes Chrzanowska
    An hour ago

Wood hardener -Miniwax will for sure help you with