Upcycled Thrift Store Wood Frame

$10

I love finding old wood frames at the thrift store. Especially when they are wood. They make such great DIY projects! Like this one that I found at my local Goodwill (the Hobby Lobby price tag was still attached). The price was $4.99 which I thought was a great deal. The same day, I also found this Hello wood cutout for $2.99. I will show you how I took these two thrift store items and created a rustic DIY farmhouse planked sign. Disclosure: This post was compensated and written in collaboration with Suerbonder®️. All opinions are my own.

Thrift Store Wood Frame
Hello Wood Cutout

We decided to use planks for the frame back. For the planks, the Hubs went through his wood stash. He is so much like me; nothing gets thrown away around here. While looking, he found this piece of scrap birch wood. The planks would be cut from this piece of wood. Cost, zero dollars! 

Before cutting, he measured the frame to determine what the length and width needed to be of each plank and how many planks would be needed to cover the back by measuring the width. It was determined that the wood planks needed to be 2” wide and 29 1/2” long. The planks were cut using his table saw. He ended up cutting 13 wood planks.

Wood Planks Cut to Size

Next, he sanded each plank with a piece of 220-grit sandpaper, just to remove the rough edges after cutting.

Sanding Planks

The frame wood color is light and would not stand out once distressed. Therefore, I decided to stain the frame with Minwax Dark Walnut, a deep, dark brown. Using a small chip brush, I brushed on the stain, and then wiped off the excess with a cloth.  

Stained Frame

Each plank piece also received a coat of the stain.

Stained Planks

The next day, it was time to paint the frame and the wood cutout.I was not happy with the light wood color of the cutout. I decided to paint the cutout white, just like the frame. I chose to use Dixie Belle paint in Cotton. It only took one coat of the Dixie Belle Cotton to cover the cutout.

One Coat of Paint

The frame received two coats of the Dixie Belle Cotton. I allowed about an hour drying time in between coats.  

Painting Frame

Once the frame dried for about 2 hours, it was time to distress. I used a piece of 220-grit sandpaper and distressed around the edges of the frame. 

Distressing Frame

I used a piece of tack cloth to remove any sanding dust that was left behind.It was time to add the wood planks to the frame. For this project, we are using the Surebonder® TRIGGERFIRE™ Staple Gun. It is the world’s first trigger activated staple gun. I was excited about the “trigger” part. It’s hard on my hands and wrists to use a regular staple gun. It takes a lot of strength in order to apply pressure. With this staple gun, it was as simple as 1) squeeze down the handle to activate; 2) place staple gun on the surface; and; 3) squeezing the trigger.  

Staples were placed on each end of each of the 13 planks.

Adding Planks

Once the planks were added, we glued a wood strip on the back in the center to help with the stability of the planks. We used our Surebonder® Glue Gun to attach the strip.

Adding Strip to Back of Planks

The wood cutout was then stapled into place. This was done while the Hubs held the sign up. He directed me to each spot that needed a staple. You can see from the photo, the cutout was thick. But the Surebonder® TRIGGERFIRE™ Staple Gun stapled with ease. I was so impressed! Even with the sign being held up, not laying flat we had no issues. And, there was no pressure on my hands or wrists.  

Stapling Wood Cutout From Back

For less than $10.00, I have a gorgeous, handmade farmhouse planked sign. These signs are pretty pricey when purchased new, but using thrift store items, it made this project budget-friendly.

If you have projects that require a staple gun, definitely check the out the Surebonder® TRIGGERFIRE™ Staple Gun. It made this project simple and quick.

15 Memorial Day Crafts
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
Christina Faye Repurposed

• Joanie

HELLO to you!! I love it! I don't throw out a lot of different things. Something always to use that SOMETHING for. We needed a pole for painting ceiling. An add on that would screw into the roller handle. I told my Husband....remember that screw on broom handle I saved......it is out in the shed. There ya go!!

• Jim Cox

Nice look