Upcycled Wine Box Into A Medicine Cupboard

$10

When I was gifted a wine box (like the ones you get in Costco), I was more excited by the wooden box itself then the wine in it. It was perfect to upcycle into bathroom storage. In the past I have made a handy shelf storage unit for my bathroom out of old drawers. This time I made a unique medicine cabinet.

The gifted wine box

The front of the wine box was a bit plain. I decided to add a bit of texture and pattern to the front with some jumbo craft sticks.

I cut the jumbo craft sticks into various sizes so that I could create a pattern on the front of the wine box.

I used wood glue to adhere the craft sticks to the front of the wooden boxes.

Once the glue had dried I then painted the outside of the box with blue chalk paint.

To smooth out the brush marks I used a mini paint roller.

Next, I painted the inside of the cupboard in Annie Sloan Barcelona Orange paint. You will only need tester sized paint pots.

As this was going to be a medicine cabinet for the bathroom I decided to give it a more medical theme by decoupaging a vintage anatomy image to the inside lid of the cupboard.

This vintage anatomy poster is free to download and print from my blog (link at the end of the post).

Next, I added a fancy handle to the front of the cupboard I had picked up in an Anthrolopoie sale.

The cupboard was simply hung onto the bathroom wall by using 2 metal brackets at the top. One on each side.

This is a very handy cabinet in the bathroom and I love the fun anatomy print on the inside. I think I will be off to buy some more boxed wine from Costco just so I can make another cupboard like this but this time for my craft room.

This isn't the first time I have upcycled wine crates in the past I made a very useful nightstand for my sons bedroom.

Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Kay-Ellen

Love the blue. What is the color? Do you think dealing with poly would be a good idea? I want to do this for my craft room,too!

• Claire at Pillarboxblue

The blue is Annie Sloan Napoleonic blue, I waxed the cupboard to seal it. It would be handy in a craft room.

• Oldwestman

What was the cost of the wine and the case? I'm not much of a drinker so maybe I can gift the wine to some relatives. I would like to get the case for model RR locomotives and or rolling stock.

• Ticia

How do you get It to stay closed? TIA