DIY Hand Sanitizer Spray Recipe

$5

Learn how to make your own sanitizer at home. This is a spray recipe, which like better. When you make it with the same alcohol, it has just over 60 percent alcohol, which is what is recommended to kill germs.

Making hand sanitizer is easy, but it's important that you make a solution that is at least 60 percent alcohol. If it's less than that, you risk not killing all of the germs. For this recipe, I recommend using 91 or 99 percent rubbing alcohol, which can be found at most pharmacies or big box stores. You can also use 190 proof alcohol. If you use a 70 percent rubbing alcohol or regular vodka, this will not have a high enough percentage of alcohol to kill germs.

You'll need:

• 3/4 cup 91 or 99 percent rubbing alcohol or 190 proof alcohol
  • 1/4 cup aloe vera gel
  • 1 teaspoon argan oil
  • 10 drops essential oils (I used 6 lavender and 4 lemon)
  • 2 ounce spray bottle
  • Whisk
  • Measuring cup
  • Funnel

Place the aloe vera gel and the alcohol in the measuring cup. Whisk them together to combine.

Add the argan oil and essential oils. Stir well.

Use a funnel to pour the spray sanitizer into the bottle.

To use, spray on hands and rub together for 60 seconds until dry. This can take up to a minute to kill germs.

Washing with soap and water is the best way to prevent the spread of germs. Use this when you can't wash. Sanitizer does not work well on dirty or greasy skin.

12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
Everything Pretty

• Amanda Dearing

Best substitute for Aloe Vera which is never in syock? I have Sunburnt Gel that contain other ingredients along with the aloe Vera. Will this work?

• Nina Li

I use alcohol and a little bit of hair cream rinse to moisturize.

• Adele Basilisco

Can I is argon hair oil?

• Dianne

What is argon oil?

• Everything Pretty

Argan oil is a carrier oil. I used it to moisturize the skin because the alcohol is drying. You can omit it or use another oil like olive oil or grapeseed oil.

• Gail

First off no one can get alcohol, or everclear. Sold out. Look up distilleries in your area and some are selling sanitizer now, they have retrofitted faster that the ventilator people. AS of yet we really don't know how effective any of this will be, but I'm all for trying it.

• Shannon Morrow

You can now at least if you get to the store when it opens. I’m in CA and got to Target when they opened there was about 15 on the shelf I thought about taking 3 or 4 as there was no sign to limit how many you can buy but I did not only took one. The hand sanitizer smells very strong I had to add more essential oils. Thank you for posting!

• Brenda Bromander

Definitely will try.