DIY Hand Sanitizer Spray Recipe

$5

Learn how to make your own sanitizer at home. This is a spray recipe, which like better. When you make it with the same alcohol, it has just over 60 percent alcohol, which is what is recommended to kill germs.

Making hand sanitizer is easy, but it's important that you make a solution that is at least 60 percent alcohol. If it's less than that, you risk not killing all of the germs. For this recipe, I recommend using 91 or 99 percent rubbing alcohol, which can be found at most pharmacies or big box stores. You can also use 190 proof alcohol. If you use a 70 percent rubbing alcohol or regular vodka, this will not have a high enough percentage of alcohol to kill germs.

You'll need:

• 3/4 cup 91 or 99 percent rubbing alcohol or 190 proof alcohol
  • 1/4 cup aloe vera gel
  • 1 teaspoon argan oil
  • 10 drops essential oils (I used 6 lavender and 4 lemon)
  • 2 ounce spray bottle
  • Whisk
  • Measuring cup
  • Funnel

Place the aloe vera gel and the alcohol in the measuring cup. Whisk them together to combine.

Add the argan oil and essential oils. Stir well.

Use a funnel to pour the spray sanitizer into the bottle.

To use, spray on hands and rub together for 60 seconds until dry. This can take up to a minute to kill germs.

Washing with soap and water is the best way to prevent the spread of germs. Use this when you can't wash. Sanitizer does not work well on dirty or greasy skin.

Everything Pretty

• Eva

What if someone is allergic to aloe vera and citrus and have no argon oil?

• Mary

I have used vegetable grade glycerin for moisturizing which is usually available in my stores and even online.

• Jacque

Who can find rubbing alcohol in the stores? It is hoarded, along with toilet paper.

• Phyllis

I haven't been able to find alcohol or aloe vera gel. It's been weeks. I feel hard alcohol is way too expensive. I'll keep the recipe for later though. Thank you.

• Kbam

I read one recipe that called for lanolin instead of aloe. It was

1 cup rubbing alcohol (99% isopropyl alcohol)

1 tablespoon hydrogen peroxide

1 teaspoon glycerin (or you can use 1/2 cup aloe vera gel)

If you cant find the high number alcohol, 70% is better than nothing.

The peroxide probably helps some...maybe?

• Robin Jennings

I am doing this. I use paper towels and saturate them with the product. I fold and store them in plastic containers that I have on hand. These wipes seem to be very effective.

• Gail

First off no one can get alcohol, or everclear. Sold out. Look up distilleries in your area and some are selling sanitizer now, they have retrofitted faster that the ventilator people. AS of yet we really don't know how effective any of this will be, but I'm all for trying it.

• Shannon Morrow
      28 minutes ago

You can now at least if you get to the store when it opens. I’m in CA and got to Target when they opened there was about 15 on the shelf I thought about taking 3 or 4 as there was no sign to limit how many you can buy but I did not only took one. The hand sanitizer smells very strong I had to add more essential oils. Thank you for posting!