DIY Rustic Beam Mantel

$80

Solid beams are expensive and difficult to secure so I made a DIY faux beam to fit this underwhelming fireplace.

Our family room mantel was pretty boring. What better way to add some visual interest than a DIY rustic floating beam!

First, I took my measurements.

I needed three boards to fit around the existing brackets and two pieces for the ends. I determined my measurements and had my lumber cut to size at the hardware store.

I used wood glue and finishing nails to attach the boards. A few sets of hands makes it easier but clamps will do the trick. 

While the glue dried, I gathered tools to distress the wood. Hammers, screw heads, chisels and chains work great. Add as many gouges, worm holes and dents as you like.

I gave the entire beam a good sanding with 220 grit then removed all the dust with a damp rag.

I used Golden Oak for the stain and applied two coats. Be liberal with stain so it gets into the distressed marks and wipe excess off after 5-10 minutes.

Too keep the wood looking natural, I sealed it with a finishing wax.

The faux beam fit perfectly over the brackets and I secured it in place with just a couple of screws. 

3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year

• Shansmow
    Shansmow

Thanks for posting this. My fireplace and mantle is just like yours but I was too chicken to just experiment. Now I know what to do and how it’ll look!

• Robyn Garner
    Robyn Garner

Nice job beefing up that teeny plank of a mantel!