DIY Rustic Beam Mantel

$80

Solid beams are expensive and difficult to secure so I made a DIY faux beam to fit this underwhelming fireplace.

Our family room mantel was pretty boring. What better way to add some visual interest than a DIY rustic floating beam!

First, I took my measurements.

I needed three boards to fit around the existing brackets and two pieces for the ends. I determined my measurements and had my lumber cut to size at the hardware store.

I used wood glue and finishing nails to attach the boards. A few sets of hands makes it easier but clamps will do the trick. 

While the glue dried, I gathered tools to distress the wood. Hammers, screw heads, chisels and chains work great. Add as many gouges, worm holes and dents as you like.

I gave the entire beam a good sanding with 220 grit then removed all the dust with a damp rag.

I used Golden Oak for the stain and applied two coats. Be liberal with stain so it gets into the distressed marks and wipe excess off after 5-10 minutes.

Too keep the wood looking natural, I sealed it with a finishing wax.

The faux beam fit perfectly over the brackets and I secured it in place with just a couple of screws. 

26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom