DIY Rustic Beam Mantel

$80

Solid beams are expensive and difficult to secure so I made a DIY faux beam to fit this underwhelming fireplace.

Our family room mantel was pretty boring. What better way to add some visual interest than a DIY rustic floating beam!

First, I took my measurements.

I needed three boards to fit around the existing brackets and two pieces for the ends. I determined my measurements and had my lumber cut to size at the hardware store.

I used wood glue and finishing nails to attach the boards. A few sets of hands makes it easier but clamps will do the trick. 

While the glue dried, I gathered tools to distress the wood. Hammers, screw heads, chisels and chains work great. Add as many gouges, worm holes and dents as you like.

I gave the entire beam a good sanding with 220 grit then removed all the dust with a damp rag.

I used Golden Oak for the stain and applied two coats. Be liberal with stain so it gets into the distressed marks and wipe excess off after 5-10 minutes.

Too keep the wood looking natural, I sealed it with a finishing wax.

The faux beam fit perfectly over the brackets and I secured it in place with just a couple of screws. 

• Joanie

I love what you've done.........it is gorgeous. Just 1 thought......had you considered wooden or metal frames for staging. Just an opinion, don't get upset. Staging BRINGS out the beauty of decorating.

• Alisha

Thanks for the great suggestion