Asked on Mar 22, 2020

How can I clean strong odors out of new furniture?

Cheryl AKathy Gunter LawHappyGrandmaGA
+5

We bought a new bedroom set for our little granddaughter who has bad allergies but she can’t even sleep in her room due to the strong odors coming from the furniture. After 2 weeks of running a large air purifier 24/7 has not helped! Any suggestions to get rid of the smell on the stained wood? TIA.

• Very often new furniture that is not all wood contains formaldehyde and it will 'gas-off'. Another culprit could be the glues used in assembling the furniture. One way to deal with it is to put the furniture in the garage for a while to let it gas-off out there.

• HappyGrandmaGA

Wow, I never thought of that! I didn’t think to check before we bought it. I doubt I can return it but maybe I should call and ask. It’s very heavy and upstairs so impossible to move. I wonder if I washed it down w vinegar and water, it might help to dissipate the smell?

• Vimarhonor

Hello. I have seen a blogger recommended vodka.

This resource Stinky Dresser Makeover | Confessions of a Serial Do-it-Yourselfer link has the answer.

https://www.confessionsofaserialdiyer.com/stinky-dresser-makeover/

• Peggy Burnette

Hi this is Peggy. I am sorry you are having problems with your granddaughters furniture. I hope this helps you. Stay well.

How to Get Rid of Strong Wood Stain Smells | Wood, Odor ...

www.pinterest.com › pin

Wood stains contain chemicals and compounds that sometimes give off strong odors. While staining, a respirator and adequate ventilation is recommended to ...

• HappyGrandmaGA

I didn’t stain it. I purchased it and it’s a top quality heavy set. I never thought we’d have to worry about this.

• What type of finish is on the bed? Painted, stain and seal? In addition, I would contact the store and discuss your issue. I would also contact the manufacturer. Vinegar/water solution might help on a painted surface. Call the manufacturer first, you don't want to void any warranty you may have.

• Kathy Gunter Law

OdoBan is my go to odor eliminator. You can wipe down furniture, diluted, and it should be fine.

• Cheryl A

I would start by calling the mfg of the bedroom suite and asking them why it has this strong odor after a few weeks. Then if nothing else works you can put a drop of vanilla extract on a balled up paper towel and place in some of the drawers etc and will remove most all odors