Sandwich Board Style Picture Frame

$15

Some friends came to me with the ask to create drink menus for their wedding that matched the sandwich board welcome sign they'd already purchased. They wanted a rustic look and wanted the actual menus to be 8x10 so people could see them when standing in line at the bar. They didn't specify what they wanted to spend on materials, but this turned out to be a crazy cheap project. I used cedar fence planks to make the frames. I wanted it to be something they could reuse for photos down the road so it wasn't just a one and done piece. I think it makes a great rustic look for photos as well.

I started by ripping the fence planks to 2" strips.

Next, I cut the pieces for the front of the frame to length. The two side pieces are 17" long and the top and bottom pieces are 7 3/4" long.

I used pocket holes to connect the frame pieces. I put one hole on each end of the cross pieces.

Next - glue, clamp and screw. I positioned the bottom cross piece to leave an opening that was 9 3/4" from top to bottom so the frame will hold an 8x10 photo or menu.

While the front portion of the frame was drying, I cut and assembled the back pieces. They're the same sizes as I used for the front. Just assemble them as a rectangle, end to end.

I used a small sheet of 1/4" plywood for the frame backing. I cut it 8 1/4" x 10 1/4"

I secured the frame backing with small metal brackets and then attached a hinge.

Here they are! The best thing about a rustic look - no finish sanding is needed.

I originally made these frames to hold drink menus, but I think our kids look pretty cute in them too.

I also added chains to the side to prevent the frame from opening up too much. Follow me on Instagram at    @woodyworking for more simple woodworking DIY or home improvement projects. Happy building!

• Alex

How do you get the picture into the frame? Do you have to remove the screws then replace them.

• Alex

Thank you, I may try these, but for framing old pictures for the wall. Have a good day. Stay safe.

• Kris

That’s brilliant and cost effective if you need lots of them! Very creative!

• Thanks, Kris. I had every intention of using "nicer" wood, but the cheap fence planks ended up being exactly the right option. It was happy surprise!

• Mcgypsy9

Well these are just too darn cute! Love them with the pictures! I know I need to make some of these! Great job!

• Mcgypsy9

You are welcome! I was out in my garage today looking for just the right wood for this project. I’m sure I have enough but need to finish up another project before I cans start. I’m excited! Just so darn cute!