Cloth Toilet Paper

$0

Don’t panic if you can’t find any toilet paper in the supermarket during this health emergency, because you can make your own DIY cloth toilet paper easily and for FREE from reclaimed fabric you already have in your home! No sewing required, just scissors, some old T-shirts or sheets, and the courage to try something new that is really good for your body and for the environment!

update March 30, 2020: Cloth toilet paper is NOT disposable. You use it and wash it. There have been some comments here about how much damage it causes when flushed. Reusable cloth toilet paper should not be flushed or thrown away like disposable TP! It gets washed and reused. So use common sense and don't even consider flushing it!

Materials

• Reclaimed fabrics from home. My favorites are old T-shirts and jersey sheets, but you can also use old towels, non-jersey sheets or other items with natural fibers.
  • Sharp scissors. If you sew and have fabric shears or a rotary cutter, use them!

Cut out squares or rectangles of fabric. You can measure them out with a permanent marker and ruler, make a cardboard template to cut out around, or just eyeball it. They do NOT have to be cut perfectly!

My favorite size is 15 x 30 cm (6 x 12"), which you can fold in half for extra absorbency, washability and hand protection!

If you're using fabrics that fray (jersey doesn't fray, which is why I suggest using that), such as towels or regular cotton sheets, I suggest either sewing a zig zag stitch along the edges or cutting out the pieces with pinking shears, which minimize fraying in the wash.

I suggest cutting at least 50 pieces so you don't have to wash it constantly. You can make more later if you want.

Simply wipe yourself with a dry wipe or, if you prefer, get it wet in the sink before cleaning yourself, or use a spray bottle during use.

Keep the cloth toilet paper in a bucket that closes until laundry day. Wash it separately in the hottest cycle with a prerinse.

Read and print the full washing instructions on my website: https://www.cucicucicoo.com/2020/03/how-to-make-diy-cloth-toilet-paper/

Remember, you don't have to full-out convert to using only cloth toilet paper! You can use it only for pee, or just try it for a week or two and decide if you want to continue. But do give it a chance!

Lisa Neri

• DC
    Yesterday

I was raised by a grandmother that believed that toilet paper was a luxury. Raising my own children I always kept the children's worn clothing, mismatched or holed socks for rags and t.p emergencies. Just cut up socks from toe to top, then in half if an adult sock. Cut material into normal tp sheet sizes. One will do most visits to the loo because material is more absorbent and grips better too. You can also choose which texture for which need;)

I personally prefer to just compost rather than wash #2 wipes, but if needed for more long term emergencies, then washing is much more practical.. still no fun, but no worse than other nasty chores like picking up after our pets daily. It becomes habit quite easily.

I would like to pass on one huge tip my grandmother taught us all ... if you are ever stuck in a public washroom with no hope of any t.p, take off one of your socks to use. No one will be the wiser.

• Mary swinson
    16 hours ago

raised my kids with cloths diapers, rinse #2 in flushed toilet. Wash in water as hot possible