Asked 6 days ago

How do I restore a vanity with weathered wood?

Lindsay AratariNan W.Em
+11

I've removed the top layer of veneer and found the wood underneath is slowly cracking and lifting from the corners. What can I do to salvage this piece?

• Gk

Maybe this can help you Melissa! It's hard to give you suggestions without seeing the piece you are working on. It might be that you can use wood filler and sand once you have removed the veneer or that you can add another piece of thin wood over the top or on the side of your dresser. Post a picture if you can!

https://www.hometalk.com/9816426/how-to-remove-old-veneer-before-and-after-metallic-painted-dresser

• Melissa

Sounds good. I'll post a picture here shortly. Thx!

• Mogie

Very good article on how to fix peeling veneer:

https://salvagedinspirations.com/how-to-fix-peeling-or-chipped-veneer/

• Morgan McBride

I would sand and paint.

• I restored a china cabinet where the veneer under the veneer was lifting. I removed it and sanded for finish. The 'finish' ended up being fabric, but you could paint your vanity.

• Vimarhonor

Hello is it your intention to paint or stain the vanity?

If it’s going to be painted you might be open to more options.

Staining might require a higher quality replacement piece of veneer. But it’s being painted you might be able to purchase a piece of luan and custom cut out to fit your vanity top and be able to paint the whole piece.

• Cynthia H

Hi! When I refinished my dressing tab!e I removed the veneer, patched and sanded the damaged parts and then stained it. It's not perfect and I have learned a lot since I redid it over thirty years ago. If I did it now, I would have done the repairs with wood putty that either matched the stain I wanted to use, or mixed a small amt. of the putty with the stain. There's always paint!

• You can still save it. I have done a restoration tutorial that may help you. https://uniquecreationsbyanita.com/tips-for-restoring-an-antique-dressing-table/

• Dianacirce70

You can sand the wood, glue and clamp. If the cracking is bad you can fill it with wood filler or epoxy. Or, if you have the capability, you can remove the bad wood and replace. The wood underneath is usually a cheaper wood, possibly pine, so it would be easy to match. I'd love a picture so I could see exactly what you are dealing with . Here is one i recently redid. The veneer was chipped some,and a bit missing in places, but my biggest issue was the body coming apart.

• CribbsStyle

There is wood filler that is paintable, I would recommend that. It comes in different colors too.

• You can use wood glue and clamp the wood together and then use wood filler to smooth everything out.

• Em

You can replace the top. Wood fillers will do nothing if it is separating and lifting. You could add a fresh top using an old door cut to fit the top, a butcher block table top cut to fit or reclaimed wood. You can cut, sand, stain, or paint and secure with screw from the inside thru the wood, or use construction glue like Loctite which holds most anything really well.

• Nan W.
    Yesterday

Melissa: Em's idea is the way to go... otherwise, it'll look patched. You may even be able to find a nice piece of laminate or granite at the Habitat Restore -- that you could use.

• Lindsay Aratari
    18 minutes ago

I would replace the top