Reusable Natural Wetwipes

$1

Editor's note: These are not antibacterial wipes and are not intended to kill germs. They are intended for use in place of cleaning wipes.

Wetwipes have had A LOT of negative attention in the media quite recently. Quite rightly too. They are almost always full of plastic! I don't mean just the packaging either- the actual wipes are plastic!! Here is an eco friendly alternative that takes only a minute or so to prepare.

Here is everything you'll need. A tub big enough to hold as many wipes as you want to make (I wouldn't make ahead more than a day or 2), flannels/scraps of material, a jug with 600ml cool, boiled water, liquid castille soap and an essential oil of your choice (this is optional but adds a nice smell. I've chosen jasmine this time but lavender is lovely for this too). You can add a tbsp of olive oil too if you like. This gives a more moisturising feel to the wipes but I like to avoid the grease so have left it out.

First you'll need to fill your chosen container with your wipes. Pack them in as best you can. When liquid is added later they tend to compact a bit more so you will probably be able to fit a couple of extras in.

Add 2tbsp liquid castille soap to your boiled water.

Now add 10 drops of your chosen essential oil (if using).

Use a whisk or a fork to quickly mix the solution to combine all ingredients. You should end up with a pleasant smelling, slightly frothy liquid.

Your liquid is now ready to pour onto the wipes. You may have some left over. Start by pouring on slowly until the entire surface of the top wipe is covered and you can see some liquid seeping down into the bottom.

Make sure your hands are clean and press down on the wipes to try to distribute the liquid throughout all of the wipes. Tip the container too. The liquid will continue to soak for a while once these are made so the end result should still be reasonably even dampness. However doing this will make sure you've used approximately the right amount of liquid. Too dry and the wipes won't really work. Too wet and they'll make a mess. It doesn't have to be precise, don't worry, but all wipes should be damp. Add more liquid until you're happy with the wipes.

There you have it! A day's worth(hopefully 2 but that might be wishful thinking with 2 little ones around) of wetwipes. My eco conscience is clear, they go in the wash after use and I can whip up another batch tomorrow.

• Bette Seabury

Can the excess mix be stored and used for the next time, in another 2-3 days

• Zelma

I did the paper towel thing with a cleanser and water for cleaning the bathroom and kitchen cabinets and stuff. I'm going to do it for wipes also.

• Gail

I have scented castille soap... Would that work?

• Yolanda

can you use dawn instead of castille soap

• Rachael Kidwell

Been telling everyone I know this same thing...no need to overspend on t.p.

• Lisa Gage

This is something to do at anytime around you home! Stop and think the next time in that paper isle!! Please help Mother Earth with her health or we are all doomed. Blast off at home with good habits