Upcycled Flower Pot Decoration

$5

Today we're taking boring old flower pots and decorating them using upcycled, old dress shirts! This project is really simple and you only need a few things to make it happen. Make this flower pot decoration in no time!

For this project, we decided to use the dress shirt pockets as a functional piece. You can store things like the little plastic plant stake identifiers that come with the plants. I know that will help me remember what I planted!

Materials

First thing is first, we need to gather our materials.

• Plastic flower pots
  • Old shirts
  • Spray fabric adhesive
  • Mod Podge

Step 1

Cut the shirts into 8 or 9 inch strips that are about 1 or 2 inches wide. Reserve the pockets whole.

Step 2

Spray the fabric adhesive onto the flower pot. Stick the fabric strips to the pot.

You can place the up and down, diagonally, or even around the flower pot. Make it unique and make it your own!

Step 3

Use a foam brush to apply Mod Podge over the fabric. This will seal the fabric and make it weather resistant, in case you'd like to use your planters on your front porch.

I'd recommend using them in a covered area, under the eve, or inside your home. But as long as they're not in direct rain or something, they should be fine.

Step 4

After the Mod Podge has dried, cut around the pockets, leaving both the front and back fabric of the pockets intact.

Apply Mod Podge to the backside of the pocket and attach it to the flower pot.

To make the pocket usable, don't Mod Podge the front of the pocket, just leave it usable as a pocket!

Step 5

Fill your planters with whatever plants, flowers, or herbs you'd like to grow.

Place them in your home for a beautiful decor piece!

Andrew @ ScrappyGeek.com

• Emarita

Does the type of fabric matter? Or does one work better than the other?

• Andrew @ ScrappyGeek.com

I think any thin fabric will work. I used cotton and it worked quite well. I would think any synthetic/blend would work equally as well. Maybe stay away from thick flannel and that sort of thicker fabric as it might be be harder to seal with the Mod Podge. Happy Crafting!

• Pearl keyse

can you use glue gun instead of podge

• Jeanne Martin

There is an outdoor ModPodge if you want to keep them outside with no cover. I’ve used it and so far so good!

• Summyr

Just thought I'd show you the difference between podge and glue gun effect. Podge is in the left and glue gun on the right... i only glued lines down like 3 i think with the gun and then wrapped the ribbon but it doesn't hold up to weather like the podge. Just an fyi

• Pearl keyse

thank you