Cerused Oak Table Using Reactive Stain

$40

Check out out how reactive stain works to give this old worn end table a whole new look below.

Pop over to my blog for more free home decor and furniture tutorials and if looking for one of a kind pieces, stop by my Facebook Shop.

Before

As always the first step is to scrub the project piece well and let dry.

Scrape off the old finish

Using my new carbide scraper from Richard tools I tried my hand at hand scraping the old finish off. The old finish scraped off nicely and in about an hour I had the top stripped without using chemicals.

Stain the top

I used Weatherwood Stain reactive stain in pining color. Wipe on and allow to react with the wood. This coat dried and a second coat was applied and left to dry.

There is a detailed tutorial linked at the bottom of this post that has videos applying these products. that may help further.

Add white oil

Next step is to apply Weatherwood Stains white maintenance oil which will not only hydrate the wood but also catch in the oak grain and give a cerused or limed look. Again two coats were applied.

Paint the base

For the table base, Fusion Mineral Paint in ash was brushed on using their  2" angled brush. 

Clear coat

Now back to the top, to seal it all up Weatherwood Stains satin conversion varnish was brushed on using my 2" angled Zibra brush . 

Further lime it

To add further cerusing/liming feel, Fusion Mineral Paint's liming wax  was rubbed on.   

Complete!

Isn't it lovely? It has a whole new modern look making this end table pretty for many more years.

Covid humor

While staging my post photos I? added a fun Covid humor addition :)

Creative Moments