DIY Fabric Face Mask With Wire Nose Support. Washable, Reversible.

$2

Editor's Note: This mask is not a N95 mask. It is meant to be used for general protection from coughing and sneezing when out in public. This is not protection in place of social distancing. At this time, it is best to stay home when possible. For necessary trips out, like trips to the grocery store, it's a good idea to wear protection for others around you.

You can help your loved ones and your community by sewing a fabric face mask. This is an easy beginner sewing project and a great way to help prevent the spread of infection (in addition to practice social distancing and washing your hands of course). Medical face masks are in high demand. Help fill the need with these washable, reversible masks that with wire nose support.

Check out the video tutorial

Watch the video tutorial for detailed instruction then follow the steps below:

Supplies

• 2 cotton “fat quarters” of 100% cotton non-stretchy fabric
  • Coordinating thread
  • Scissors
  • Straight pins
  • Tape measure
  • ¼ inch elastic  cut into 7 inch long pieces
  • Iron and ironing board
  • 3 inch long 20 gauge wire
  • Wire cutters and pliers
  • Sewing machine

Download the template and cut it out

You can get access to the template here: https://landing.mailerlite.com/webforms/landing/q9s3c6

Wash and dry your fabric

Before you begin, wash and dry your fabric. Iron if necessary to remove and wrinkles.

Cut your fabric rectangle according to the template.

Sew a pocket to insert the wire.

Place the two pieces of fabric right sides together and sew a seam at the top 1/4 inch from the edge. Sew another line underneath it to make a small area where you can insert the wire.

Insert the nose wire

Cut a 3 inch piece of craft wire and curl the edges. Insert it between the two rows you have stitched and center it.

Prevent the wire from moving

Prevent the wire from moving by sewing a line on either side of the wire to keep it in place.

Cut the elastics

Cut two 7 inch pieces of elastic and pin them to the fabric according to the template.

Sew a 1/4 hem all the way around

Once the elastics are in place sew a 1/4 hem all the way around the fabric leaving a small hole to flip the mask inside out.

Flip inside out and pin the pleats.

Take a tape measure and place a pin every inch from the bottom of the mask for 4 inches.

Pin pleats in place

Gather the fabric from the bottom pin and bring it to the pin on top. Remove pins and repin the pleat for sewing. Do the same with the top two pins. If this seems complicated- watch the video.

The mask should look like this

You can now sew the the sides of the mask to keep the pleats in place.

Side view of the pleats

This is what the pleats should look like from the side.

Finished mask

This is what the mask will look like finished.

Wear your mask and always use the same side touching your skin in-between washings. Wash in the laundry with your other clothing like normal. You can add a little bleach to the load for extra germ fighting power.

Adrienne Carrie Hubbard | Crafty Little Gnome

• Mkc19921735
    18 hours ago

If i do not have craft wire, could i use a twist tie? Would it hold up?

• Lmlahlum
    16 hours ago

How do you safely wash this with the wire inside? Is there a way to make the wire removable?

• Jlnatty
      16 hours ago

I would just wash it on "hot" water with a little bleach added to the water on "gentle." Or, hand wash and air dry. The alternative would be to cut a little slit inside one of the short stitched seams where you could "worm" the wire out of its pocket and use tiny bits of velcro to hold it closed when in use.

• Cindy
    15 hours ago

I would really like to help out with the mask, how do I print out the template though? No matter how I try it doesn’t let me any suggestions

• Kay Roberson Turner
      26 minutes ago

Hello. Just cut out a 7 inch by 9 inch rectangle. You dont need the template. Put fabric right sides together, cut it out, make the casing for the wire, pin in the elastic at top and bottom on the short sides, sew a 1/4 inch seam around it leaving a inch and a half opening on one side to turn it through. Turn it right side out. Press. Make sure the opening area is tucked in nicely. Make your pleats. Sew over the sides to hold pleats and and close the opening. And you are done.

• Rozmund
    31 minutes ago

That was super excellent..I saw something very similar on Dr. Mercola's site yesterday..only they place a third layer of "non woven fabric" in between the inside and outside fabric..used a draw string instead of elastic and left it open to remove and replace the insert..which I imagine is disposed of and the rest is like yours washable..I like your better..easier, and not as time consuming to create..thank you for sharing..we have no masks left in my town at all..except for hospitals and even then not enough.

• Michelle Barlow
    An hour ago

I used a coffee filter sand left a little slit in it so I can replace it when I wash it. Also I used my leftover tomato wire and I made it bigger . I made straps instead of the other way cause all people need to stay protected at this time. I am a retired nurse. Do your best and wash your hands as much as possible.