Asked 7 days ago

?what wet wrong

KmdreamerSharonJohnavallance82
+12

I used Murphy oil soap on my moms night stand and now it’s whiteish instead of a cherry wood color what can I go she was a heavy smoker

• GrandmasHouseDIY

Hi Sandy, have you tried a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water and elbow grease?

• Mogie

Be careful but take some alcohol on cotton rag and rub small area. See if that pulls the residue. If it does do a larger section. Work using clean rags.

Possibly a reaction between Murphys and nicotine. Nicotine tends to be oily/greasy. You need to use a household degreaser. Krud Kutter should do the job. Awesome purple clean would work.

• Dianacirce70

There was a film of some sort on the furniture and the soap made it cloud over. Very likely tobacco, but it could have reacted to old varnish or wax, as well. If the alcohol doesn't work try mineral spirits. Wipe in the direction of the wood grain. You may very well remove more than the cloudy poly/varnish, so be careful or you will have to redo the whole top.

• Dee

Be careful using watered products on wood. Spray it on a microfiber cloth first and then rub the nicotine off. It may take many tries to do this as nicotine is sticky. Murphy's oil was probably too oily to deal with the problem. You could buy some Howard's furniture cleaner at the hardware store.

• Cynthia H

I agree that it is probably the nicotine. It's very tarry. Personally I don't like Murphy's. It has done that with waxed furniture for me, in the past. You need to clean all of the build-up off. Krudkutter is a good suggestion. If you can't get any, a microfiber cloth and Dawn dish detergent would remove quite a bit.

• Megan

Yeah....You might have accidently used a little too much for the Murphy's oil soap. I would see if you can scrub it off with warm water and a shop towel!

• Ken Erickson

You will need to clean off the Murphy's. A paste or spray on wax may be better. You need to convince mom to smoke outside or quit. I was stationed on a submarine and the interior walls were coated in nasty yellow nicotine from all of the smokers cooped up inside that tin tube. YUCK

• Agnes Chrzanowska

I think yo used to much so I wlll quickly wash it and let it dry completely

• Kmdreamer

Murphy’s oil soap should be put in a bucket with water and then dip a wrap and wash down the furniture so just get warm water and do that with out the Murphy’s

• Karen Montano

Furniture polish with oil they have one that covers scratches and then they have lemon oil also

• Johnavallance82

Hello there,

You could Wash with soapy water and dry. Then when completely dry wipe over with Beeswax. Always try in a non conspicuous place first. Best wishes.

• Sharon
    17 hours ago

I would use a 3M green abrasive pad to remove the built up wax and nicotine that reacted with the Murphy's Oil soap. Then use a furniture product like Hormsby Beeswax Furniture Polish.

• Kmdreamer
    12 minutes ago

That’s from the wax wipe it a couple of more times it will come off it’s from all the wax build up