Super Simple DIY Farmhouse Style Bench

$30

Do you have a space in your home that needs more seating? An entryway? A living room? A porch? I’m guessing that’s probably the case for all of us. Couches, benches and chairs can all be quite expensive. Well, I have a solution for you: A simple, inexpensive, beautiful and fully customizable bench.

This DIY farmhouse style bench took me about an hour to make and it cost me $30. Check out the simple step-by-step instructions below and then if you’re looking for other farmhouse style decor for your home, check out this $5 DIY Blanket Ladder.

Materials List

1 – 2×10 pine board

4 18″ hairpin legs

Stainable Wood Filler

Stain – Your choice of color

Polycrylic Spray

Orbital Sander or Sandpaper

Tack Cloth

Drill

Cut a 2×10 pine board down to 4 feet long.

Many stores, such as Home Depot and Lowe’s, will do this for you free of charge. Otherwise you can use a table saw to cut it.

Use an orbital sander to sand down the board, making it smooth.

This is important so that no one gets a sliver when they sit down on your bench.

Use a tack cloth to remove all dirt and sawdust from the board.
Fill any large holes in the board with stainable wood filler.

It’s important to make sure that you purchase STAINABLE wood filler. Use a putty knife to push the wood filler into the holes, overfilling them just slightly. Wait for the wood filler to completely dry.

Sand down the areas where you put wood filler.

You want to create a perfectly smooth surface for your bench.

Stain the board.

I chose to use Minwax Special Walnut Wood Stain. To stain it, I simply dipped a rag in the stain and spread the stain over the board as evenly as possible. Allow the stain to fully dry.

Attach the hairpin legs to the bench.

First mark the holes with a pencil.

Then drill the holes for the screws.

Then attach the legs by putting in the screws.

Now you’ll have a gorgeous bench to put anywhere in your home! Plus, it was inexpensive and easy to make so you can feel good about it every time you look at it.

Looking for more farmhouse style decor for your home? Check out this Rustic Farmhouse Style Coat Rack!

Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
Mary @ The Handcrafted Haven

• Lisa Elford
    Lisa Elford

Gorgeous idea! Definitely something I would like to try, however, is the bench strong enough to sit on or is it mainly decorative?

• Jjqq
    Jjqq

It only took an hour? Start to finish?

• Thanks for your question. Yes, it took an hour of my time. About 40 mins one evening and 20 mins the next evening. Between the two time periods, I let the stain dry.