How to Sew a Face Mask Part Two

$2

Last week I made a face mask more or less because I was at loose ends. This week, I saw a link for a local hospital with directions on sewing face masks for the hospital. I wanted to make some of these for my family and if I ever feel they are good enough for the hospital, I’ll send them over. Here is the link to the original directions that I used.

https://www.marywashingtonhealthcare.com/documents/PDFs/Cloth-Face-Mask-with-wire-nose-piece.pdf

I think credit goes to Lucy A Fazely, she also has a Facebook.

Now, when I printed the directions, they included a step where non woven interfacing was included so my mask has that. They have since removed that item from the directions. Does anyone know why? It seems like it would provide an excellent barrier.

I never thought I would see the day where our local hospitals would be so in need of these items that they would be asking the public to sew them.

Per the instructions, cut 2 pieces of fabric, one for front and one for the back. 6 by 9 inches. Above I have the pieces to make two masks. Face up fabric is for the front of masks. Back of mask fabric I have face down with a piece of interfacing on top. Interfacing is 6 by 8 inches.

Per the instructions, they say batik fabrics are best but I just used quilting cotton. The instructions also say to use two different patterns so the mask isn’t mistakenly put on inside out after possibly being contaminated.

For my non woven fabric per the instructions, I used Pellon Featherweight Interfacing. I ironed it onto my inside lining piece.

I put the front and back pieces right sides together and sewed around the outside, leaving the portion between my fingers open to turn it right side out.

You tuck the 7 inch piece of elastic inside before sewing. One piece on each of the short sides.

Using my sewing machine, I sewed around the outside leaving a small opening to turn it right side out.

I cut off the extra fabric at each corner.

I trimmed extra fabric off outside the stitched line being very Careful not to cut into my stitches.

Turn it right side out and press with your iron. Folding the opening over to create a neat and tidy area to sew closed.

You will add the wire for the nose at this point. It will be located where you see it here but slipped inside the fabric. You will sew around it to keep it in place.

I folded the mask over to create a crease line to make sure I put it in the middle of the mask.

I placed it inside.

I placed pins around it so it wouldn’t shift around while I was sewing around it.

I ironed it flat again.

I placed a couple of pleats while I was sewing on each of the short sides.

Here is a picture of the wire inside up against a window. Sewing around it is tricky but I bet the more you make, the easier it gets.

It doesn’t quite fit tight across the top my face, maybe I needed a bigger piece of wire. I think adding wire the full length of top and bottom might work better for me.

This is the fourth mask that I have made and it is getting easier. I plan to make them for all my family members. Honestly, it is therapeutic and relaxing to make these. Maybe my sewing skills will improve after this Stay At Home time is over.

Here are the finished masks. I will tell you, making these may come easy to some but there are a lot of things to take into consideration. From the placement of the elastic, to the sewing around the wire nose piece. Don’t get discouraged though, it will get easier, the more you make. For instance, the elastic should go off the four corners like the top one and not the bottom one.

• Fabric  (I had it)
  • Pellon Featherweight Interfacing  (Walmart)
  • Pipe cleaner Or 20 gauge wire  (Walmart)

• Bessie Y. Lively

Yes, I do p9lan to make this mask.

• Janice
    16 minutes ago

I used the pipe cleaning wire also but I sewed a piece of the wire the entire length of the top piece to help frame the mask to the contour of their face. It does get easier the more you make.