DIY Disinfecting Wipes

$10

Learn how to make DIY disinfecting wipes at home. This uses a 70 percent alcohol solution, which is what the CDC recommends to kill germs. I also added some hydrogen peroxide and essential oils, but those are optional. I used reusable cloths, but you can also use paper towels or cut up sheets or towels.

This recipe makes one cup of solution. You can double it or triple it to make more if you use a bigger container. You can store leftover solution in a mason jar to use later.

I made my own reusable cloths with flannel. You can also use a thick paper towel or cut pieces of sheets or towels or even an old t shirt. Sewing them helps them last longer. If you cut fabric, it could unravel after several washes.

You will need:

• Paper towels or cloth wipes (mine are 8x8)
  • 1 cup 70 percent or higher rubbing alcohol or a 140 proof or higher grain alcohol
  • 1/4 teaspoon hydrogen peroxide
  • 17 drops essential oils (optional)

You can use lavender, lemon, tea tree, clove, peppermint, rosemary, or cinnamon. Learn how to make a thieves oil blend to use.

1

Place all ingredients in a bowl and stir well.

2

Place the fabric squares or paper towels in the container. Pour the disinfecting solution to cover the towels and fill the container 3/4 full.

3

Grab a wipe and squeeze out excess solution. Use to disinfect hard surfaces. Then launder the wipe and reuse if you are using a reusable cloth. You can add more solution as needed.

The CDC recommends that you use a 70 percent alcohol solution to disinfect. The hydrogen peroxide and essential oils are optional. If you can't find rubbing alcohol, you can use a high proof vodka or grain alcohol, but make sure it at least 140 proof. Wear gloves when using these wipes as the alcohol can dry out your skin. Rubbing alcohol can also cause a rash or irritation.

The essential oils are optional and are not necessary for this to be disinfecting. I like the Defender blend from Simply Earth.

Everything Pretty

• Mary
    2 hours ago

I guess I’m always prepared for cleaning this way

had all that on hand beforehand I stock alcohol to wipe down thermometer as well as other first aid reasons

I hope everyone stays home and safe!

• Rynn
    11 minutes ago

As some one else mentioned, alcohol has been sold out around here , too. HOWEVER, once i can find some, i want to make these disinfecting wipes as you demonstrated. I LOVE the cute materials you used, and you got me thinking that this is a way to re-purpose worn-out kids clothing . They have such happy colors along with the memories. Can't wait! Thank you for the idea.